Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
Out of curiosity, what is the insurance company's policy on other types of fowl, such as ducks? It sounds like they're specifically concerned about chickens and pigs?

Not a clue... there’s another farm on island that has well over that in chickens, but I don’t know who they are with for insurance... I’m not in a place where I can “question” these statements and decisions by the “real” property owners. It is complicated, as the person who handles the insurance is an ex insurance agent herself, and very company-first minded. It’s basically a bunch of family politics, BS, and other stuff, such as a “we don’t like chickens, and don’t even think about pigs and pork!” Attitude.

It’s annoying, as I had a successful career, owned a house (in a crazy market) and like to be in control of my own life. Giving that all up to attempt to farm has been a challenge. Especially as I’m trying to diversify and attempt to bring new techniques to the farm.

Not a clue... there’s another farm on island that has well over that in chickens, but I don’t know who they are with for insurance... I’m not in a place where I can “question” these statements and decisions by the “real” property owners. It is complicated, as the person who handles the insurance is an ex insurance agent herself, and very company-first minded. It’s basically a bunch of family politics, BS, and other stuff, such as a “we don’t like chickens, and don’t even think about pigs and pork!” Attitude.

It’s annoying, as I had a successful career, owned a house (in a crazy market) and like to be in control of my own life. Giving that all up to attempt to farm has been a challenge. Especially as I’m trying to diversify and attempt to bring new techniques to the farm.
Yeah, I can imagine how frustrating that is for you. I hope things get better for you in the future :hugs

What camera are you using? I'd like to set one up in the future
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SG5XPM8/?tag=backy-20
It takes pictures too but the pictures turn out dark even during the day. There is probably a setting to adjust that but I haven't looked for it yet. I read that it has a time lapse photo/video option. I want to use that one day but then I can't play with my toy for a few months as a plant I am recording is growing. When I get bored with it as a toy I will start watching plants grow with the time lapse feature/

in the previous post I forgot to inform people that the cam has a sound feature, you can pick up sounds too. I didn't want to waste memory card space on sounds. besides do you want to hear 20 different roosters crowing in the background?

Dorking Cam 2! this time the Females are Dorkings and the male is half Red Ranger, there is a Light Brahma in there too who I want to breed with the Rooster.
This Dorking Crossing makes the 3/4 Dorkings with various colors and patterns. The previous cam has the reverse crossing that has limited colors and patterns.

A disturbing finding in the Ayam Cemani/Red Ranger breeding pen. He is already out of that pen. He might be caged and only let out to breed then he goes back in the cage. Its my Alpha Ayam Cemani, the Beta Ayam Cemani has a higher cull rate when I breed them.

The first video I thought maybe it was just how he tries to breed, the video its certain he is just an abusive (bad word).
Those poor girls were under the coop for 95% of the trail cam session. I thought they just liked the shade and dust bathing under there. All my hens hide under the Coops when I am around, but unlike the other pens that I did the trail cam these 2 stayed under there. after 200+ 10 second videos I saw them venture out and get beaten by a real jerk of a rooster. He has never shown aggression towards me so I was a bit shocked. This is why I am glad I got the trail cam, I can spot the bad roosters who act all sweet and innocent when I am around.

A disturbing finding in the Ayam Cemani/Red Ranger breeding pen. He is already out of that pen. He might be caged and only let out to breed then he goes back in the cage. Its my Alpha Ayam Cemani, the Beta Ayam Cemani has a higher cull rate when I breed them.

The first video I thought maybe it was just how he tries to breed, the video its certain he is just an abusive (bad word).
Those poor girls were under the coop for 95% of the trail cam session. I thought they just liked the shade and dust bathing under there. All my hens hide under the Coops when I am around, but unlike the other pens that I did the trail cam these 2 stayed under there. after 200+ 10 second videos I saw them venture out and get beaten by a real jerk of a rooster. He has never shown aggression towards me so I was a bit shocked. This is why I am glad I got the trail cam, I can spot the bad roosters who act all sweet and innocent when I am around.

You are right. He doesn't appear to be trying to breed them, but just to be mean to them. Better to eat him and try another roo.

He is in a cage right now, One of my Serama Cages is empty, about the size of a pallet so its plenty of room for one rooster. The beta Ayam Cemani is now in with the Red Rangers. He will get Supervised Breeding visits with the Ayam Cemani Females until one of his sons gets old enough to replace him. The Beta Rooster has too many culls in his matings to where I don't want to keep him or his sons. As I Trail Cam every breeding pen I am going to find more videos like this... hopefully not of violence. I want to know the chickens behaviors when I am not looking. So far my Roosters have been kind to the ladies in all the videos with the exception of this one thug.

Pity, as it’s a pricy breed...
Free Roosters of this breed are finally started to show up, but very hard to find a female for sale. I breed them and sell the chicks for $6 a piece. Thats a common chick price here and about double what I charge for for random breed. I want to bring the price down on them because they do not cost any more to breed. Infact they cost a bit less, they don't eat much. The only problem is that about half of them end up with one white feather or one white toe so thats why I charge double for the good ones and then I give the culls away for free.

Back
Top Bottom