Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
a couple of Videos from my MNN pen. The male is half Red Ranger and the females are half Red Ranger with the exception of one which is 1/4 Red Ranger But her eggs look different so I can keep the hatching eggs separate.

Possible Sex Links when mated to the mostly white (columbian pattern) half Dorking Hens.

The dark hen that comes in from the right in the first video has pretty markings.

Have you ever weighed the Turken mixes or eaten any of them yet?

The dark hen that comes in from the right in the first video has pretty markings.

Have you ever weighed the Turken mixes or eaten any of them yet?
I weigh them and process them at 5 pounds, I can't remember when they reached 5 pounds, I can scroll back in a bit and find it listed in this thread. The mostly black one is the sister of the Alien Meat Bird in my avatar

I weigh them and process them at 5 pounds, I can't remember when they reached 5 pounds, I can scroll back in a bit and find it listed in this thread. The mostly black one is the sister of the Alien Meat Bird in my avatar

No big deal I was just curious. Do you process at 5 lbs because of feed efficiency?

Do you process at 5 lbs because of feed efficiency?
Yes, I was growing them out to 18 weeks (different crosses to compare) but weighing them each week I noticed that growth slowed after 5 pounds. so I went from seeing who was the biggest at 18 weeks to who could get to 5 pounds the fastest.

IMG_1815.JPG

Remember the Grey Meat Bird, I was going through old posts on this thread and found this. The one on the right was his brother. So apparently that grey meat doesn't get distributed evenly to the offspring.

He weighed 5.4 pounds before the dirty deed was done. This was the youngest one I have processed (12 weeks)
<--- the first Naked Neck X Red Ranger
Hard to compare him to the Dorking X Red Rangers because I didn't process them at 5 Pounds I based the processing on age. But I am still looking to find at what age they reached 5 pounds.

as I read further I had a scale malfunction, he was 8.4 pounds at 19 weeks so the 8 week reading was off. My scale goes haywire if not on a level surface and likely I had something partially under one corner of it. The more I read the more I realize my early scale readings were way off. this is going back to February. I do not believe I figured out how to work my scale correctly until March or April. I do believe by the time I got to the Naked Neck x Red Rangers I had it all figured out.

We just butchered our last red broiler rooster this past weekend. They were hatched March 1st, I didnt take pics and forgot we have a scale but the thing I wanted to comment on was the similarity between him and one of my home crosses. Once the feathers were off I couldnt tell them apart! I was very excited to see such good results from my line of birds. I have several more that I hope do as well. Nice breast meat and good sized legs.... I have to work on pics and weights.

Back
Top Bottom