crowing 9 week old pullet!?

andythegirl

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2020
hello everyone! new chicken owner here - hi!

we currently have 4 pullets, 9 weeks old. we recently re-homed a crowing cockerel ...but now we have a crowing pullet! well, i hope she is not a cockerel, at least. she started crowing at daybreak after the rooster was gone. i put her in our old brooder box in the garage overnight, rejoined her with the crew during the day, but she has continued to crow in the morning time. i've heard this is not at all out of question and many threads here have mentioned the possibility of a crowing pullet.

we cannot own roosters where i live, so the crowing is not really welcomed by my neighborhood ;) attaching a picture— i welcome any insight, tips, experiences....

thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 30
noooooo.... the news i was avoiding. she's our favorite! no he is... oh dear.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Unfortunately that's often the case with unsuspecting cockerels being our favorite because their confidence comes off as friendliness to us.

Hens can and do crow but pullets do not. All the threads with crowing pullets that I have seen are the original poster claiming pullet and being disappointed to find that not accurate. If you've seen any that actually turn out to be crowing pullets, please provide links!

That is indeed unfortunately a beautiful (looks maybe even purebred blue Ameraucana) cockerel. Early maturing really, if 9 weeks is an accurate age as I already see pointy saddle feathers.

Best wishes finding a forever home! :fl

Back
Top Bottom