Crowing at 3 weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pastiche, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Pastiche

Pastiche Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    Crowing? CROWING?! How is this possible? This little Campine was supposed to be a pullet, but man oh man, I think I've got a baby roo here. And this morning? He woke us up with what sounded like a cute little crow.

What am I gonna do? Can't keep cute Campine roosters in Denver. Please tell me this is not crowing. That's supposed to happen at 4-5 months, right?

(and please don't judge the background. They are in our basement, not our kitchen. : ) )

2. nposluszny

nposluszny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    Johnstown, NY
    That sure does look like he's trying to crow, but I'm new to chickens. Very pretty birds you have there!

3. gizzyntaz

gizzyntaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    I thought I saw a pretty big, red comb? If so, I'm thinking roo. Sorry[​IMG]

4. MoffatChicken

MoffatChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2014
    Watched your video but I didn't even need to wait for the crowing with that big red comb, is a Roo.... He is young to start crowing

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    OMG, that's so incredibly cute! No, pullets do not crow like that. You have yourself a cockerel, all right!

I recently had a chick crow at six weeks, and I thought it was pretty young. He was a cockerel, too. No doubt. He was supposed to be a hatchery-sexed pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by