Crowing meat birds?

Mama Rae

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Just ordered a batch of "All Heavies" from McMurray hatchery (a mix of Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks; Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star) to raise for meat. All of the chicks will be cockerels, any thoughts or ideas about when they'll start crowing and/or if they'll get "cocky"?
Thanks!

I'd say they'll start trying to crow around 10-12 weeks, getting feisty about the same time. I've done the same batch, and it seems like each week after that things get a bit more lively. I start processing a small batch of the most aggressive ones once a week after 12-13 weeks. I don't mind that they are on the small side.

Last edited:
Well, our Freedom Rangers got seriously 'cocky' at about 6wks - nothing vicious or ugly, just slightly territorial. They were starting the pecking thing about 3wks with vigor. They are starting to crow at 7wks here - sounds like a brass horn with a mute in it! Funny, funny stuff! Only one has truly figured out the whole 'song' thing (out of 18 cockerals), but he doesn't yet know where his volume knob is. Our Black Java roo calls, and this one Ranger answers him! It's neat - but is causing our BJ roo some serious 'defense' mechanisms in his little brain.

Our Black Java's are showing who's who about 4wks! Eep! That's before I can tell the difference, but obviously, they know!

Back
Top Bottom