Crowing season

Hils

Songster
May 4, 2020
England
Do quail roosters stop crowing and mating when breeding season is over? And is this now? It's just past equinox in England.

What kind of quail? My males didn’t care what season it was, they crowed when they felt like it. My chickens are still laying despite the shorter days but my Coturnix quail laid right through the winter.

I had 3 males for a long time, one crowed CONSTANTLY! All day every day, every time a leaf blew or whatever, all night. The other 2 barely crow. I culled him, and only like 3 times a week I hear one of the others crow. It depends on the bird, some are talkers haha.

What kind of quail? My males didn’t care what season it was, they crowed when they felt like it. My chickens are still laying despite the shorter days but my Coturnix quail laid right through the winter.
Japanese Quail. I've got two males and one of them crowed constantly till the other day. The girls have virtually stopped laying now.

Japanese Quail. I've got two males and one of them crowed constantly till the other day. The girls have virtually stopped laying now.
Are they molting? I kept mine outside and while the laying did slow, it never completely stopped.

Are they molting? I kept mine outside and while the laying did slow, it never completely stopped.
Yes they have started moulting now. My seven laying girls were all pretty regular till about 10 days ago. And today only 1 egg! They have just moved into a greenhouse / aviary 3 days ago too.

Yes they have started moulting now. My seven laying girls were all pretty regular till about 10 days ago. And today only 1 egg! They have just moved into a greenhouse / aviary 3 days ago too.
How nice for them! I bet they’ll love it in there.

Just tricky gauging the temperature. I've removed some of the panes and covered over with hardware cloth. And open the door in the day - they are in a run inside the greenhouse, but the main thing is it's dry!
Yes the dry is definitely better than wet. You’ll get the hang of temp control though. I kept my quail in a covered aviary outside. Do you have plants in their run to hide under and such?

Back
Top Bottom