1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VannahRAe, Nov 11, 2012.

1. VannahRAe

VannahRAe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    When do roosters usually begin to crow ?? I've got a EE roo and he hasn't made a noise yet and he is 7 months old. :(

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have some older roosters that still haven't crowed yet.. But usually always before seven months. I've noticed an average of 16-22 weeks for first crow in my own roosters, but I have EE roos who started as early as week 6, and another mixed breed bantam rooster who started at 4 weeks. It's largely dependant on the bird itself.

3. VannahRAe

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    Well dern thanks for the input lol .

4. MissChikaDee

MissChikaDee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    North Central AR.
    Boy, I'd love to have a rooster that didn't crow! [​IMG]

5. VannahRAe

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    I might be blessed with one. Even though he can crow all he wants since we're way in the country lol .

6. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    We live in the middle of no were so our boys get to make all the racket they want. We don't mond it, usually when it gets real quiet we know something is up.

7. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    Oh I forgot. Lol. We have two JB roos one started crowing around 5 weeks and the other took months to start crowing. He has made up for lost time though. Some days I think they try to out do eachother from oposite sides of the field.

8. buzzbomb

buzzbomb New Egg

Nov 11, 2012
    First question is: are you positive it is a rooster? Sometimes they don't crow as early if they are slow to mature sexually and don't have any other roosters teaching them how to crow. Mine start as early as 5 days old! But that is very seldom and usually stops all together during the feathering stages and then resumes around 10 wks old, but some adults are just dumb and don't know how. Many times they will practice around 3am when you are sleeping. If he is a rooster he will crow just give him time and a girl to crow about!!

9. gypsy5583

gypsy5583 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    I just got my chickens on saturday. Since hes been here my Americana rooster has only crowed like 6 times. Is he adjusting? Do they crow when a hen lays and egg?

10. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    No, they crow when they want. Has nothing to do when a hen lays an egg. Hens on the other hand to have a "egg laying song" but is not the same as a rooster crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by