Crowing???

I have some older roosters that still haven't crowed yet.. But usually always before seven months. I've noticed an average of 16-22 weeks for first crow in my own roosters, but I have EE roos who started as early as week 6, and another mixed breed bantam rooster who started at 4 weeks. It's largely dependant on the bird itself.

Boy, I'd love to have a rooster that didn't crow!
yesss.gif

We live in the middle of no were so our boys get to make all the racket they want. We don't mond it, usually when it gets real quiet we know something is up.

Oh I forgot. Lol. We have two JB roos one started crowing around 5 weeks and the other took months to start crowing. He has made up for lost time though. Some days I think they try to out do eachother from oposite sides of the field.

First question is: are you positive it is a rooster? Sometimes they don't crow as early if they are slow to mature sexually and don't have any other roosters teaching them how to crow. Mine start as early as 5 days old! But that is very seldom and usually stops all together during the feathering stages and then resumes around 10 wks old, but some adults are just dumb and don't know how. Many times they will practice around 3am when you are sleeping. If he is a rooster he will crow just give him time and a girl to crow about!!

I just got my chickens on saturday. Since hes been here my Americana rooster has only crowed like 6 times. Is he adjusting? Do they crow when a hen lays and egg?

Back
Top Bottom