crows a pest or a predator

Chick2chicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2017
Canada
Hi,
I am an urban chicken farmer. When I let my chickens run free in my backyard, should I be worried about crows?
Every time the ladies are out and I hear crows I rush them back to the coop which they are not happy about. If crows are a predator to chickens is there something I can do to keep them away?And if they aren't, why do they come closer when I bring the girls out?
Thanks
chick2chicken

Hi,
I am an urban chicken farmer. When I let my chickens run free in my backyard, should I be worried about crows?
Every time the ladies are out and I hear crows I rush them back to the coop which they are not happy about. If crows are a predator to chickens is there something I can do to keep them away?And if they aren't, why do they come closer when I bring the girls out?
Thanks
chick2chicken
Never had a problem with a crow----for that fact Crows usually run hawks off!

The crows are not fools - they know where there are chickens (or other birds) there is food -- that is why they are attracted to when you have the flock out. How old are your birds? Crows would only be a risk to very young/small birds, if at all.....beyond that they are pests, food thieves, etc.

so I shouldn't be worried since I my chickens are about 25 weeks old even if there are a bunch of crows, I just don't want to lose one of my chickens!

so I shouldn't be worried since I my chickens are about 25 weeks old even if there are a bunch of crows, I just don't want to lose one of my chickens!
OK, I will say this---I have crows, around, but "I" have never had a problem with crows and my chickens and I have been raising chickens for over 1/2 a century. I have seen crows attacking/aggravating hawks many times and the hawk keeps flying away.

Also my hens lay in the nesting boxes but I have seen crows drive their beaks into duck eggs around the yard/pond MANY times and fly off with the whole egg.

Hi,
Thanks
chick2chicken
I love crows and they hate hawks. So that's a plus. Crows pose no threat to adult chickens. Don't allow crows access to eggs or baby chicks. That's my advice, and have fun!

PS If hens corner a crow in their coop or run they may kill it.
http://www.pawmygosh.com/cat-and-crow/?utm_source=shrd&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=shrd
(video of crow feeding and mothering abandoned kitten)

I had limited problems with American Crows, the larger species here in the Midwestern US, when they still eggs from exposed nests. What I noticed the game hens did to compensate was they became aggressive to crows and all songbirds that approached nest sites even prior to setting.

I have yet to enjoy consistent hawk repelling action by crows. They are most effecting only when they have young not yet in full feather and that must be near their nest. My crows do not concentrate their nest near my poultry areas.

Eastern Kingbirds are far better at repelling even Coopers Hawks but their nest are not always where they need to be either.

Back
Top Bottom