crows

moondog425

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
tn
Are chickens affraid of crows, I think mine are. I had a hawk attack a while back so they may think they are going to get them too.......
idunno.gif

Quote:
Yeah, sometimes they are afraid of them. Mine usually only get afraid of crows if they stop in the yard and caw loudly. But then again my hens are afraid of the falling leaves in autumn.

Imp

When I had mine as chicks out in the yard (with me watching them of course) they would duck and cover when they saw crows flying overhead... but they also did that with robins and sparrows. Now they only do that for turkey vultures and red-tails. I think chickens, as well as many other prey animals, have an instinct to be wary of large overhead shapes.

I'd welcome the crows, if I were you! Crows will keep the real hawks at bay! The chooks will get used to them after awhile.

My chickens never really noticed the crows, but this week we had a hawk attack and now the chickens run between bushes in the yard to keep hid. They hide from the crows to. I guess they arent as stupid as people thinks.

My hens aren't afraid of crows.They are welcome on my land, as they chase hawks off.Some don't like crows because they will steal eggs if they can. They also will take young chicks if they can..I'd never have chicks out were they could be taken by a crow or whatever anyway.I've never had them steal eggs either. I consider crows around here as a good thing...

We too welcome crows and have seen them chase off hawks. Then the bluebirds/tree swallows chased off the crows so they don't come very close to the house.

Well, after an actual hawk attack, the chickens are really going to be aware of ANYTHING that flies overhead! Like Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. They'll eventually get over the crows, but even if they don't, at least they are smart enough to take precautions to keep them selves alive! My chooks are in a covered run, and even when the dragonflies fly over, I can see them ducking! Natural instinct, and your chickens' instincts have been reenforced by an actual attack. Let them be afraid, it's nature's way!

I remember reading about a study done years ago with chickens--I think. They passed a silhouette of a bird overhead to see how chickens reacted. When the silhouette went in one direction it looked like a hawk but in the other it resembled a duck. The chickens hid from the 'hawk" but ignored the "duck".

my rooster has always made a small growl sometimes but i didnt know why, untill he did that once, and i looked behind me and there was a crow flying.
dont know if he's afraid of them, but he stops what he's doing growls and just looks at them untill he cant see them no more

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom