Crud inside duck egg

Do you sell a lot, to the general public?
I've informed my few customers, all friends, of the typical abnormalities and told them if they find anything disturbing to put the whole egg shell and all into a container in the fridge for me to see....only needed that once.
Not a lot, but it’s my DD’s business, so we have a steady clientele. I haven’t really talked with most of them about egg irregularities unless it’s come up. I’ve been surprised how difficult it is to sell duck eggs since some people consider them a high end item. I like their flavor complexity, but some people find them strong tasting, even gamey, so I always discuss more with our duck egg customers. Our ducks all stopped laying in the summer due to broodiness and molting. So, most of our customers got off of duck eggs, especially since only 2/5 resumed laying in the fall. I talked about our duck egg oddities with our one remaining duck egg customer, who is savvy and kept chickens herself in the past, and told her that I’d give her a free dozen eggs if any of the duck eggs are bad or just look unpleasant.

I’m just trying to figure things out - definitely not saying that my duck or your chicken have an infection! Actually, from your picture, that white substance in your egg looks more like one side of the chalazae, which is where the egg white attaches to the yolk and is a normal egg structure. I think maybe my picture didn’t capture very well that my odd egg has a different looking structure...

Thanks for clearing that up and for letting me hijack the thread a little! Hope your ducks lay more eggs for you and hopefully you don't get any more strange ones!

Back
Top Bottom