Crumbles or pellets?

My chickens HATE pellets. I am going to have to switch back to crumbles now. They pick out all the small stuff first and wait untill last thing to eat the pellets
hu.gif

I went ahead and changed them over to pellets today, and they seem to be eating them. Although they seem to eat anything and everything. My wife has been selling the eggs to her friends for $3.00. That means I may break even in about a year and a half. Thanks for all the input.

Dennis

We do pellets, although the girls certainly would prefer the crumbles. I read about so much waste with the crumbles, we went to pellets as soon as they were old enough. they got hungry enough and started to eat them.
Mine are spoiled though---they wait for their bucket of kitchen scraps every morning. Way more interested in those than pellets!

I have always fed pellets, but accidentally brought home a bag of crumbles once. They seemed really excited about it, and I don't know if they ate it faster or if it wasted - my dirt's about the same color. That bag disappeared much faster than the bags of pellets, so it was immediately back to pellets for us.

My eggs are costing $1.25/dozen to produce (not including initial cost of housing and the birds themselves), and I can sell as many as I want to our little local store for $2/dozen. When I work up a market for them, I'll sell them to individuals for $3/dozen as fast as the girls produce them.

I'm going o switch to pellets due to the fact that I spread the feed on the ground for my girls, (instead of in a feeder) and its easier for them to see the pellets than the crumbles. Along with that, I've noticed that the crumbles have a lot more dust in them, and they really do sort of crumble away when I feed the gals.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe crumbles and pellets are exactly the same thing, except pellets are shaped similarly to rabbit food, in small cylinders.

My girls prefer crumbles. We tried giving them pellets a couple weeks ago and they absolutely refused to touch them. We ended up buying the crumbles a few days later because not a single one of them had taken a bite since we switched over.
roll.png
I'm having the same problem. I can't return the huge bag I bought; we took some out to try. Looks like I'm going to make my own crumbles. About the % of crumbles, is the higher number chunckier than the lower % is smaller?

I am new to raising, so my opinion may not be worth much... I switched to pellets, then bought a bag of crumble. Mine girls like the pellets better and I have a better idea that they are eating enough with the pellets as well. I am mixing my crumbles in with the pellets to get rid of it then will be straight pellets. Sounds like it is just what your flock prefers...

Back
Top Bottom