crushed garlic for deworming

Horsejody, what do you do to prevent worms and other stuff? What do you mean by deworming? How do you do that?
And Chicken 5432. Would that equal out to be about a tbs of ceyenne pepper a gallon?

Quote:
Your chickens are young and most likely don't need to be wormed. If in the future you suspect that they are carrying a worm load, you can purchase wormer at a farm store or online. There are some that can be put in their water, then you don't eat any of the eggs while the chickens' bodies are getting rid of the wormer (withdrawal period). If your birds are looking happy and healthy, don't sweat it. If your chickens free range they may pick up parasites. If you are ever concerned that the chickens are looking ill or possibly have worms, you can take a fecal sample to the vet for testing. I think that there may have been some people scaring you into being a bit paranoid. Stop worrying. Your chickens are fine. Provide quality feed, fresh water and a clean environment for them. Watch them grow and enjoy them. If the birds start acting sick or distressed, then worry about the possibility of worms.

ok. I think you are right about the paranoia thing. They are my first chickens as an adult! I just want them to be healthy and i dont want to find worms in the eggs. They have been tranferred to their outside coop a few days ago and they have a run.

Quote:
hugs.gif
we've all been where you are at some point in time - and even when our girlies get sick, we still panic
wink.png

Best thing to do is to sit down for a few hours on this site and read all about raising chicks and how much fun you have in store for you.

We're here if you need us!
smile.png

The simple truth is that a healthy chicken can carry a small worm load without any issues. Ground pumpkin seeds and buttermilk are an old remedy that I give them on occasion as a preventative, but if I think they really have a worm load enough to cause concern, I would worm them with invermectin, Eprinex PourOn or Safeguard. They have DE in their feed on occasion, though I am not convinced that it worms that well after being wet--it's more for the trace minerals in it. I use organic apple cider vinegar, not as a wormer, but to help their gut Ph and to help the hens absorb calcium. I use garlic on occasion to boost their immune systems and I have no idea what affect it has on worms. For a real worm problem, use a real wormer.
Organic methods are great, if they work for you, however, if you have serious worm issues, the bird can die. I have only wormed my almost 4 yr old flock 3-4 times in their lives and only after I did actually see a worm in a rooster's poop at almost two years old. You won't find worms in eggs unless they have a serious worm load.

This may be a silly question but there seem to be a couple of types of worms they can get but how do you know if they have any of the types to begin with? I have wondered about this worm issue myself.

Speckled hen-

Is it possible to get a list of the types of dewormers, and good preventative actions to take? I live in a very dry area so I have slightly better chances of not getting worms..but still.
I have heard of worms getting in their eggs? Is that possible?
What were the signs you saw when you knew to deworm them?

There is so much on this site about worming, a good search will bring up most of the information. Some wormers work on most everything, like Invermectin or Safeguard (panacur). I prefer Eprinex Pour On cattle wormer because for cattle, there is no milk or meat withdrawal time, so to me, that translates to no withdrawal time for eggs.
Worms in eggs usually only happen when they are heavily infested and if they are, they won't look all that healthy--thin, dull feathers,etc.
First time I wormed them, I saw a worm in one bird's poop so treated them all. The subsequent wormings I did because we saw lots or roundworms on top of the soil and felt it'd be a good idea. You can go years without worming birds, though. If they look healthy, you see no worms in poop, then I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom