"Crusty" Eye

memerabbit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 11, 2012
I have two silkies, one them has what looks like crust around the left eye. The eye looks a little swollen and the eyelid is slightly droopy. I am worried about her. What can I do? What is this?

Are there any marks around the eye where she could have been pecked? A respiratory disease can cause swelling of an eye or the face, along with sticky eye drainage. I would clean the eye out twice a day with saline, and then use either Terramycin eye ointment, plain Neosporin ointment, or Vetericyn eye gel in the eye. With a respiratory disease, you may also want to start an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or as an injections, or oxytetracycline in the water. Here is a good link to read about common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Are there any marks around the eye where she could have been pecked? A respiratory disease can cause swelling of an eye or the face, along with sticky eye drainage. I would clean the eye out twice a day with saline, and then use either Terramycin eye ointment, plain Neosporin ointment, or Vetericyn eye gel in the eye. With a respiratory disease, you may also want to start an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or as an injections, or oxytetracycline in the water. Here is a good link to read about common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you.

I don't think she has been pecked. She had mites pretty recently. She has been itching at her face VERY often and there is now some dried blood in the area.

Then she may have injured her own eye from scratching. I would continue to look for any symptoms of respiratory disease such as cough, sneeze, runny nose, or rattly breathing. If you see those, then I would separate her and treat her with Tylan 50 injectable-1/4 ml daily by mouth for 5 days.

Then she may have injured her own eye from scratching. I would continue to look for any symptoms of respiratory disease such as cough, sneeze, runny nose, or rattly breathing. If you see those, then I would separate her and treat her with Tylan 50 injectable-1/4 ml daily by mouth for 5 days.

If I treat her for the wrong thing could it affect her negatively? Is there anything else it could be other than a respiratory disease? Just to let you know I have also seen her shaking her head a little.

Back
Top Bottom