Crusty Growth

Dianne9948

Hatching
Jun 15, 2021
I found this on my 4-y/o rescue hen Ophelia. I have never in my 20-years of raising chickens, seen anything like this. Half of it has fallen off since I found it. Last night I found another one under her wing. Any clue?

Attachments

• 8DA94C62-613D-44E7-96B8-5E8C9D0999C6.jpeg
    8DA94C62-613D-44E7-96B8-5E8C9D0999C6.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 21
  • B4E74DD8-D059-470D-BB27-94B55CEDABA3.jpeg
    B4E74DD8-D059-470D-BB27-94B55CEDABA3.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I found this on my 4-y/o rescue hen Ophelia. I have never in my 20-years of raising chickens. Half of it has fallen off since I found it. Last night I found another one under her wing. Any clue?
Looks like favus to me or in other words ringworm. You can treat her with Banixx CHIXX Bacterial & Fungal Infection Poultry Spray (Amazon) or Globe Miconazole Nitrate 2% Antifungal Cream (Walmart)

I found this on my 4-y/o rescue hen Ophelia. I have never in my 20-years of raising chickens, seen anything like this. Half of it has fallen off since I found it. Last night I found another one under her wing. Any clue?
I really don't know. Just guesses. Maybe an abscess, tumor or cyst? Ingrown/impacted feathers, but I do wonder since there's more than one, some type of tumors.
I would be interesting to see more photos of both places and if the layers fall away what's underneath.

I really don't know. Just guesses. Maybe an abscess, tumor or cyst? Ingrown/impacted feathers, but I do wonder since there's more than one, some type of tumors.
I would be interesting to see more photos of both places and if the layers fall away what's underneath.
I originally thought tumor also. Until another one mysteriously appeared. Plus the original one on her neck, part of it has fallen off. I Googled Favrus, one of the symptoms is white spots on the comb & around her face. She has both of those. I'm going to try the anti-fungal & see what happens :)

I originally thought tumor also. Until another one mysteriously appeared. Plus the original one on her neck, part of it has fallen off. I Googled Favrus, one of the symptoms is white spots on the comb & around her face. She has both of those. I'm going to try the anti-fungal & see what happens :)
Worth a shot:)

Back
Top Bottom