Cry babies. What to do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Love07 AR, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Duck Love07 AR

Duck Love07 AR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    Okay I got three new baby Cayugas two days back. I was told and research said that they are quiet birds. I've only raised Muscovy ducks before and i got them almost a month old. My new babies are about a week and one of them will not stop crying unless i hold her. They have food and water at all times. is something wrong with her? the other two don't cry like she does, they talk but not cry. am i doing something wrong?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are the other 2 picking on this one? have you watched to make sure it's allowed to be in at the food at the same time. also you might put in a stuffed animal ducklings love to snuggle on something and stuffs work real good for that. also check temp in brooder as ducklings can over heat too,

3. Duck Love07 AR

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    No, she is the biggest and i have been keeping an eye on her. she just sits and cries for no reason. I have it warm in their box but they all stay under the heat lamp, there is lost of room if they are warm. and i'll think about the stuffed animal, she just makes me worry she is unhappy or that she is hurt.

4. Rosepath Garden

Rosepath Garden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Mine liked to cry when anyone came in the room.
    Other wise I don't know?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Keep an eye on her vitals - poop, eating, drinking, general behavior. Little ducklings are as individual as anyone, she may have nutritional needs or emotional needs different from the others. Do what you can. Maybe she just really loves you.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Are they huddled together under the heat lamp or apart? Ducklings like to pile up but if they are always huddled, they could be cold. Is the food and water in a somewhat temperate area? If they are always under the heat lamp your food/water needs to be just at the edges of it.

As Amiga suggested, monitor her. Often if it was a lone duckling they will peep for you but I don't think that after only 2 days and with siblings that it is missing you. I would check the temp in the brooder as it may stop peeping when you are holding it because it is warm.

7. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Check for all that was suggested above, if all is well than she may miss you 2 of my 4 runners acted this way 2 wks ago they were 3 days old got them a stuffed animal that helped.

8. Duck Love07 AR

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    thank you, i am keeping an eye on her and the food is about in the middle on one side the water on the other side. i didn't want the water getting warm. i let them out today because it got warm and it seems she got tired because she stopped crying and laid down for a while.

9. Duck Love07 AR

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    I am at the end is my rope here. For the past two weeks I have been up every two hours. It is the water. She plays in it until there is nothing left then will not stop screaming until she has more. I got Cayuga because they weren't very loud, I can here her across the home. I'm going crazy. Does anyone have any ideas because at this rate I'm going to end up eating her before long just to get some sleep.

10. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Can you share a pic of where you're keeping them? Does a larger (wider) bowl fit?

We had to elevate the water cup because our geese would spill it during bedtime. My dad hung it over like you see in the pic
    [​IMG]
    as they got bigger, we moved them into a larger bed-time box, still keeping water elevated (he just used wire to create a loop for the water bowl to fit)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by