Cry babies. What to do?

Not in what I keep them in now but by God I can put them in one. Only problem is the she plays in the water like she is drinking it nonstop. I put a feeder and watering thing in with them and she spilled every last drop.

I am at the end is my rope here. For the past two weeks I have been up every two hours. It is the water. She plays in it until there is nothing left then will not stop screaming until she has more. I got Cayuga because they weren't very loud, I can here her across the home. I'm going crazy. Does anyone have any ideas because at this rate I'm going to end up eating her before long just to get some sleep.
Whoa. First, thanks for staying in touch. Now. I know how some noises can just get on a person's last nerve. That is the time to remind oneself it's not the animal's fault. I have a cat who has this mournful moan sometimes. Rather than shout, "WHAT??????!!!!!" I step back, take a deep breath, remind myself she depends on me and we will eventually get this sorted out.

I don't know exactly what your setup is. And maybe you just have a chatty duckling. That is no reason to do her harm. Really. If you are not ready to care for ducklings, I understand. It can be a load to bear. So take a deep breath, and decide to make it work out without harm to the innocent animal.

Have you looked at tweetysvoice water setup? Have you looked at Wifezilla's brooder setup? If it's too much, then have you posted the situation on the rehoming forum? What general area are you in? Perhaps another caregiver can take her in.

At this age ducklings need food and water in front of them 24/7. As Amiga suggested, try a different waterer. Some ducklings are just louder than others.
Do you still have the original 3? Together?

I have a loud mouth Giant Pekin and he is a whiner. I put a tub of water in there and that helped some . They are 2 weeks old and I used a cake box top.

I agree with others, try a different type of waterer where she can't swim in it or knock it over. I know there's been some people who have posted their setups here. One suggestion is to use something like a small plastic tub with a lid over it with a hole only big enough so that they can get their heads in and out safely, but can't get in there to swim, bathe, or knock it over.

Last edited:
I've used a plastic mushroom container zip tied to the side of the cage, you have to fill it often but it keeps them happy. It's like the black one I posted above with food in it.

How is everything going? My guess is that she imprinted on another human before you got them and I am sure we all look alike to them haha I hope things look up because they are wonderful ducks and are generally on the quieter side.

Last edited:
My little ducks were quite loud and annoying when they were "teenagers". After that, they really quietened down. They are all different. She may be annoying now but will probably turn into a great duck with love and care. My least favorite ducking became my favorite duck by far. Don't give up, you did choose this.

I wish you the best with your little animals.

It is getting warmer. Soon I'll put them out side. I moved them to another room, a unused bathroom. A radio keeps her silent. I changed the water but still have to refill it three or four times daily. I have renamed her to screaming demon.

It is getting warmer. Soon I'll put them out side. I moved them to another room, a unused bathroom. A radio keeps her silent. I changed the water but still have to refill it three or four times daily. I have renamed her to screaming demon.

Do you have a stuffed animal you can put in with her? sometimes that can help with stress and or anxiety. When they are so young sometimes you just have to experiment till you find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom