Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Here is a new cubalaya hatch. I'm wondering what color the little red chick in the second picture will become when it feathers out. Father to chicks is a silver/golden duckwing.

Last edited:
They are quite striking though I don't think I would want them roosting over the feeder.
sickbyc.gif

Bruce

True, but they jump on anything they can land on anyway. They are real flyers and can fly up to the top of their 8 foot pen with ease. It is just a temporary pen I built until I can build something better. I only used that feeder for the first day until I could build one of my custom automatic bucket feeders, which is better then anything you can buy in the store and you don't have to worry about them pooping in it, the feed getting wet or them wasting feed.

True, but they jump on anything they can land on anyway. They are real flyers and can fly up to the top of their 8 foot pen with ease. It is just a temporary pen I built until I can build something better. I only used that feeder for the first day until I could build one of my custom automatic bucket feeders, which is better then anything you can buy in the store and you don't have to worry about them pooping in it, the feed getting wet or them wasting feed.
Sharp looking little flock. How about posting a pic of that feeder?? ...stan

Sharp looking little flock. How about posting a pic of that feeder?? ...stan

You can see them in the picture below. It is raining right now, or I would take a close up for you. They are SOOO complicated to build! I mean, you have to have a masters in engineering to do it. NOT! It is just a 5 gal bucket and some 2" PVC, but it works like a charm. My wife says I should sale them, but I feel that anyone that could not build something this simple should not be raising chickens.
wink.png

Here is crop close up.

Those are nice feeders, but by my place would become a rat problem right away. I aim for all feed to be gone quickly. I used to use big old feeders but the chick killing rats changed my mind.

JE,
Now you sound like me. lol.

I feel that someone that can't cull should be breeding chickens!

Maybe you are rubbing off on me. LOL! Or great minds think alike. Take your pick. When you say "can't cull", do you mean, don't know how to cull, or won't cull because they can't stand killing their birds? Because I fall into the first category as I am just learning and this is my first year doing any kind of targeted chicken breeding. But as far as killing my own birds, well I don't want to brag, but I have eaten a few hundred chickens I have raised. I do it humanely though. I take my 30" razor sharp machete and a hand full of corn, throw the corn around my feet and when the head of the one I want pops up, it's light out. The bird dies happy, peaceful (no adrenaline from being chased around the yard) and never knew what hit him. I have always prayed and asked God that when my times comes, it will be just like that; instead of a long slow death in a hospital bed or something.

Those are nice feeders, but by my place would become a rat problem right away. I aim for all feed to be gone quickly. I used to use big old feeders but the chick killing rats changed my mind.
Thanks Gallo. I have not had problems with rats yet. I don't have very many warf rats here. What I have a bunch of is, cactus rats, which are very cute and look a little like a Chinchilla. They chew holes in anything not made out of concrete or steel, but I have yet to see them eat meat, so I don't think they are carnivorous. I know I have never had chick killed by one.

Last edited:
When you say "can't cull", do you mean, don't know how to cull, or won't cull because they can't stand killing their birds?

I ASSUMED he left out the NOT, as in "should NOT be breeding chickens". That makes sense to me, unless you are just "breeding" them to get chickens to eat. I suspect you are doing no one, or the breed, any favors by breeding whatever hatches instead of sending the low quality ones to freezer camp.

I have always prayed and asked God that when my times comes, it will be just like that; instead of a long slow death in a hospital bed or something.

OK, but you gotta sign something that says we aren't to go to jail for using the machete
wink.png

Bruce

I'm sure his typing was going slower than the words he was thinking, and left it out :)
I ASSUMED he left out the NOT, as in "should NOT be breeding chickens". That makes sense to me, unless you are just "breeding" them to get chickens to eat. I suspect you are doing no one, or the breed, any favors by breeding whatever hatches instead of sending the low quality ones to freezer camp.

OK, but you gotta sign something that says we aren't to go to jail for using the machete ;)

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom