Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Here are some more pics of my Welp birds. Lighting was better this morning and there was no wind, but they were all in grooming mode with their feathers all puffed up and like always, all bunched up together. You can really see the hackle coloring on these cockerels is different then my Zooks. It starts off kind of yellow at the bottom and gets darker red at the top.

JE, These are all BBR except the light colored pullet in the bottom pic? What do you guess she is? To my very untrained eye, they look pretty good right now. Are you still planning to cull mostly for size and breed to your Zook and Cubakid lines, or do you plan to keep some of them pure Welp?? Guess it's way too early to answer that one.lol......stan

Last edited:
I plan on doing all of the above. My main focus is size, but since I have so many options, I can do more then one thing. At one year old I will start doing individual detailed assessment of each bird and make a plan from there for next spring. By then I will have about 50 birds from my own breedings from the Zooks and Cubakid birds I have and I should be able to see what did what. With the stock that I have, I hope to turn out a show quality BBRed at some point. For now I will be glad to get their weight up to SOP. Hopefully I can achieve that within a generation or two. I will need a lot of help to do it though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom