Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Several nice ones, there's one in this group that's not solid black, but close enough that I'm going to use him.
IMG_7892.JPG

They are looking really nice. Great job you are doing with them. I agree on using the one that isn't solid black. What will you breed him to for a better black?
A Sister?
I'll breed him to one of the original hens that I got from Tony Xenikis, a fellow from Ohio that I met through Carl Brantley in 2018. Tony had a line of black Cubalaya that someone had given him in 2003. In the summer of 2018 I sent him 5 "black line" birds, two cocks and 3 hens. None of the ones I sent him were solid black, but were out of black birds. He bred those five to the five he still had left.
In the fall of 2019 I got a pure Xenikis pullet along with a cockerel that was half his blood and half my blood. This cockerel is an F4 from the original combination of the two lines. Your cockerel is an F3 down from the original matings. Your cockerel is 3/8th Xenikis and 5/8th Troyer.
I should note that the line from Xenikis had been bred pure for 30 years, beyond that he doesn't know where they came from.

I'll breed him to one of the original hens that I got from Tony Xenikis, a fellow from Ohio that I met through Carl Brantley in 2018. Tony had a line of black Cubalaya that someone had given him in 2003. In the summer of 2018 I sent him 5 "black line" birds, two cocks and 3 hens. None of the ones I sent him were solid black, but were out of black birds. He bred those five to the five he still had left.
In the fall of 2019 I got a pure Xenikis pullet along with a cockerel that was half his blood and half my blood. This cockerel is an F4 from the original combination of the two lines. Your cockerel is an F3 down from the original matings. Your cockerel is 3/8th Xenikis and 5/8th Troyer.
I should note that the line from Xenikis had been bred pure for 30 years, beyond that he doesn't know where they came from.
This is very interesting. Thanks for the history and including me in the expansion of black Cubalaya.

Great type and feather here on this Bantam Black Cubalaya. Beautiful to me.
Are you showing any of these?
I have not shown any of them. I had planned on showing a dozen Cubalaya at the Ohio National in bantam and standard and was unable too. Perhaps I should hit all the closest shows at least here in Michigan.

There are not many Cubalaya here in the South at small shows and sometimes no other Oriental Game. So, I am saying yes, take a group for one reason, enough for the breed class to make the class count. However that may not be the case in Michigan. On the other hand, your birds are spectacular and educational to show. Also encourages close by interest in the birds. Picking the most convenient shows gives good practice and feedback.

On a another note;
Here in Athens, the black Ganoi/Cuba female is committed setting on 8-10 eggs from your male. She was moved in her egg box last night to the hatching coop (with electricity). From my observation she is a laced black, the male a green black and the Shamo hen is a blue black.
Daylight is getting longer, the black Male Cuba and black Shamo are together and perhaps she will start laying soon.

Back
Top Bottom