Cuckoo Maran/Barred Rock ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lucysmom002, Jan 7, 2012.

1. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Quote:Phoebe's egg looks like a Marans egg should, dark, reddish brown and very round. She looks like a CM roo in front and a hen in the back. Way cool color, but not The Standard. The Roos are always a couple shades lighter than the hens.

PNWskye and ceceuu like this.
  2. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Songster

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I love all of my ladies. I don't care what they are. I'm just still new to chickens and learning all the time. It's fun to learn and see what I actually have in my yard. [​IMG]

3. welasharon

welasharon Crowing

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    [​IMG]
    Here are my two:
    Barred rock on right.
    Cuckoo Marans on left. Her eggs vary from beige to dark brown...sometimes we get freckled ones from her. She is hatchery quality.

PNWskye likes this.
  4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Songster

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Your BR looks like Diamond, my BR.

5. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Thanks for all the replies..not intended to steal Lucy's subject. Is crazy what you get from the hatchery. No matter what we get, we love 'em. DH wants to know if I want to get more....we have 12 already! Saw the baby chicks at the feed store yesterday...they sure don't stay little long enough!

6. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Songster

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I know what you mean. We started with 2 in May of 2010. 2 little chicks. Husband built a little coop for them.
    In May of 2011 we had over 30 chickens and a huge 12 x 24 coop built off the side of the barn. Insulated, air conditioned, everything.. [​IMG]

I did sell some of my chicks and lost a few on the way but we now have 17 hens. I love them all. They are like potato chips, can't have just one.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:We started with 4 the beginning of August of 2010. ( My birthday gift- dh built our 1st coop and second as we expanded.) One turned out to be a rooster and unfortunately had to be rehomed and got 2 more. Then is September, brought 3 more fuzzy butts. Come March of 11, my nephew wanted chicks and I came home with 2 more ( Lucy and Phoebe). A BYCer on the AZ thread needed to rehome her young pullets and 3 more came home with me. I would love to have an Olive Egger and a Copper Marans so I can have some variety in egg color. Would like to get them from a breeder and not a hatchery. My last 3 gals came from breeders from BYC.

Our coop sounds a little like yours except smaller. 6x8 We have a ceiling fan as well as a/c.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Songster

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Very cute! We have lawn chairs by our coop too so we can sit and watch the little ladies do their stuff. They jump on our laps and lay down. I'll get pics of mine! I promise. I've been working on an accelerated class so been spending tons of time on that. ARRHGHg

9. Hucklekree

Hucklekree In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Enumclaw
    Quote:she would be a very poor quilty CM or a marans mix

That's so cool/weird because I have a barred rock offspring from this summer that looks exactly! like phoebe. I suppose that would just mean that it's the cukoo coloring and not barred right?

10. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:she would be a very poor quilty CM or a marans mix

That's so cool/weird because I have a barred rock offspring from this summer that looks exactly! like phoebe. I suppose that would just mean that it's the cukoo coloring and not barred right?

The back end is Cuckoo coloring. If they look like the back end , then yes. Would love to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: