Cuckoo Maran/Barred Rock ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lucysmom002, Jan 7, 2012.

1. GNRMorgans

GNRMorgans Songster

Dec 31, 2013
    Chase,BC Canada
    hmm...they both look pretty dark, so my guess would be pullets - in these breeds...dark = girls, lighter = boys. Barred Rocks have yellow legs, and the Cuckoo Marans have pink/white legs. Hard to tell from this picture - but that may help you out. Good luck! :)

2. JesNflock

JesNflock Songster

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US

x2
    @KrystalRose , can you get closer pics of the legs? Also when they feather out more the BR with have more structured lines than the Cuckoo does

3. JesNflock

JesNflock Songster

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Here's a new girl I just got and was told she was a Barred Rock, BUT she has white legs like a Cuckoo Marans (does not lay dark eggs that I've seen,but I just bought her and a few other girls together, so I don't know who lays what egg yet) ( I know close to nothing about her...seller didn't know very much about her birds unfortunately) I was considering she was a Dominique, but don't know anything about that breed and I think they have yellow legs also) Her barring looks to be BR. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    Pretty, white legs

[​IMG]

4. GNRMorgans

GNRMorgans Songster

Dec 31, 2013
    Chase,BC Canada
    I would lean toward the Cuckoo Marans - Dominiques have rose combs and yellow legs.

5. JesNflock

JesNflock Songster

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    That would be awesome! I've been wanting a Cuckoo Marans. Her pattern doesn't seem to be very cuckooed though...I i think she's awesome whatever breed she is, but it's still nice to know lol

6. JesNflock

JesNflock Songster

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I posted a pic of this guy on another thread of mine, but maybe someone on here has an idea of what breed he is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rfreedlund

rfreedlund Chirping

Apr 7, 2014
    Byron, Illinois
    My Barred Rocks have yellow feet while my Cuckoo Marans have light gray feet. That is the way I can tell a few of them apart that have more distinct barring like my Barred Rocks. It took me a while to figure it out, though.

8. YgritteChick

YgritteChick In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I have a cockerel that looks very similar to the one in your picture and have been trying to find out what he could be! How big is your chicken? Mine is on the smaller size. Before seeing yours, I hadn't ever seen any other chicken that looked similar. So, I second asking if anyone at all has any ideas about what breed or mix these could be! I am so curious!

9. So Cal Chic

So Cal Chic Chirping

Jun 11, 2014
    In June we inherited six hens from a friend who was moving back to Sweden. She wasn't sure of the breeds, but we have four distinct breeds and would like to determine what they are, who's laying what and how often. Two hens we've identified easily as Buff Orpingtons. I'd appreciate some assistance in determining the breed of the two hens we call "the sweeties" because they're so sweet and soft. A bit skittish at first, and seem to be a particular target at the bottom of the pecking order, but they're warming up to us and will stay still for an occasional petting if treats or snacks are involved. They always come running when snack lady makes an appearance.

Posting pictures here, because I've looked at the Barred Rock and Dominique threads and judging by the photos posted, I'm not seeing the definitive bars or stark black/white coloring in those two breeds. Feather coloring is smoky gray/brown. The sweeties have pale legs, defintely not yellow, but not white like the BOs. They both have spiked combs, but one is a bit floppy. Body size is smaller than the BOs, which are the largest in our flock. I'd appreciate some opinions on whether or not the sweeties are Cuckoo Marans or if they're something else.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. GNRMorgans

GNRMorgans Songster

Dec 31, 2013
    Chase,BC Canada
    Hi SoCalChic - your girls look like Chocolate Cuckoo Orpintons to me. They also come in a bantam size. Google some images and see what you think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: