Cuckoo Maran/Barred Rock ?

I wonder what coloring the whole pattern on phoebe would be called. The similarity isnt just the back end, my pullet has her exact coloring. I will see what I can find for pics. Its nasty.this week but I think I have pics.already. Its just uncanny

Wow the layout of the site is really different! Sorry it took so long, I was doing homework. I'm taking an online class for winterim...stress!

Here are pics taken today of some of my chickens. ( I have 17 ) I was focusing on the Barred Rocks /bird in question. I think she is a BR though.

TWO BARRED ROCK FLUFFY BUTTS!

Just wanted to add: the first pics of her earlier in the thread were from summer, she was very young then. The new pics were taken today. She's laying beautiful eggs. They all are. 12 of the 17 hens are from McMurray hatched in May. The rest are from last year.

Very pretty girls. Love your yard. Some day I want a larger yard with room for a bigger coop and more "girls". I am not sure what hatchery the feed store got my girls from.

Good luck with school.

Thank you!
We have 16 acres. We built them a 12x24 coop last spring and they have a fenced in yard to run in also all to themselves. I let them in the yard when we are home. Their yard is about 150 x 40 ?? Nice and big!

I added pictures of DJ and Diamond for you to see. Just want to be sure everyone saw them. So are we sure I have two Barred Rocks ?

From hdowden images I would say Barred Rock. If you have a very dark egg layer I would think there's a Cuckoo Maran in the mix. I'm having a similar issue and was thinking mine could even be a Dominique. In the past I'm had all three breeds, but for the life of me can't figure out what I have now. So, do you have a Maran? And if not, would you consider a Maran to be an exotic breed? I don't think a Barred Rock would be exotic either. Maybe you can keep an eye on it one day and see if it's the one laying the chocolate colored eggs.

61761_img_5946aaaaa.jpg

Here are my two:

Barred rock on right.

Cuckoo Marans on left. Her eggs vary from beige to dark brown...sometimes we get freckled ones from her. She is hatchery quality.

I'm loving that Polish in the middle xD

I also have a barred rock and just got 6 new cuckoo marans. My fave, the runt, didn't make it and just passed last night.
sad.png
I have been trying to learn the difference between the two breeds as well. Your pictures help. Would you say they are similar in other ways too, such as characteristics, eggs, etc.? They look so similar to me, but I am not an expert, ha! Thanks for your info!

I have a question on this, I have two BRs and a Cuckoo Marans. Betty. She has the markings, the leg color, so I am almost positive that she is a Marans. There is only one egg in the mix that is deeper brown than the others, but not as brown as I have seen. She is 9 months old. Will the eggs get darker as she ages? I only got her for the dark eggs (I have enough chickens as it is).

Back
Top Bottom