Cuckoo Maran chicken questions!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jackie8907, Oct 6, 2015.

1. jackie8907

jackie8907 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2015
    So we recently got a cuckoo maran rooster and hen from a local animal auction and both were said to be about a yr old...we've had them for almost 2 weeks and i got my first egg from the hen a few days ago and it was big but not the deep chocolate brown i was expecting more of a regular brown with dark brown spots. Well she didnt lay again until this morning and it was super small and misshaped, but it had a yolk and everything (picture attached)...is this just an accident or is this telling me she is missing something? And how often should i expect her to lay? I was hoping she'd be able to produce an egg at least every other day, but there was 3 or 4 days in between the last time she laid![​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hmmm, are you sure shes a Cuckoo Maran? Her egg maybe deformed because she stressed from moving to a new place, here is a great article on the subject with more options why she laid that: Common Egg Quality Problems

3. jackie8907

Aug 9, 2015
    Thank you! I'm hoping it is just the stress from moving somewhere new and actually im thinking they aren't full blooded Cuckoo Marens cause they have feathers on their feet and i didn't think true Marens did...here is what they look like[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jackie8907

Aug 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Yeah, I think its just stress from moving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by