Cuckoo Maran Gender Help

Well I have 3 cuckoo marans and I think I have one cockerel and maybe two hens. They are about 5 weeks old and all show a small crown. The coloring is pretty much the same with the black with white flecks. One has less white, The one we think is the roo has feathers growing on its feet. The other two do not.
These chicks were not sex linked so it was a crap shoot to what we got.
Do feet feathers mean anything?
I think that one is starting to crow as well. Have not caught him in the act, but that is the one with the feathered feet.

Thanks!

no the feathers on the legs do not matter because both genders are supposed to have feathered shanks. go to a little of half way down the page there are pics of 2 black copper marans chicks at 6.5 weeks old along with genders if your bitties look like the 1st pic then they are pullets if they look like the 2nd then cockerels. if they have smaller combs that are red then they are cockerels as well as pullets combs do not turn red till they are at point of lay. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/is-my-chicken-a-pullet-hen-or-a-cockerel-cock

I also have the same problem!! I bought 9 Cuckoo Marans (bought 10 & came home with 9) so I was given a Black Copper Marans! I bought--I thought all hens--that's what I paid for!! Well now 4 of them are changing to a different color & have much larger combs & waddles--also have started trying to mate with the hens! I was told by the person I purchased from that some had double combs & some had single combs... Seems all the double combs are the little boys and very mean too! So is it pretty safe to say that I have 5 hens & 4 roo's???

I wound up giving my males away to our local CO-OP. Good news is I just got 6 more. 3 Cuckoo Marans and 3 BO's.

I would suggest looking at the pictures I took of them at only 5 weeks old. If they start to do that they are cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom