Cuckoo Maran (pullet or cockeral?)

newlyweds

Pearl of the Prairie
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Southeast Texas
Sorry these aren't the best pictures but I'd love to know what sex you think they are

Chick #1 day old (actually a CM cross, but has a large head spot, would this still mean roo? does have barring on wings)
DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0023-2.jpg

Chick # 2 Full Cuckoo Maran
day old pics
far right in the pic
DSC_0032copy.jpg

The chick facing the camera
DSC_0008copy-1.jpg

center of the picture, kind has a splotchy head spot
DSC_0002copy.jpg

here's a week old picture with feather growth
DSC_0133.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's easy to tell them apart that early if you have one of each (boy and girl) because you can compare.....but just a pic on the net without a comparison....give it a little more time.
wink.png

I'm pretty good at sexing the barred colored chicks, but only after they are about 2 weeks old.

I am updating some of my old threads.

Both of these turned into beautiful pullets! They fooled me in the beginning because they both had larger head spots.

DSC_0090.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this update! I just had 1 hatch that has bonded with me and I was bumming because of a similar head spot. It's nice to know that there is some hope it will be a pullet!

i know three ways to tell the gender of day old chicks or any age really !!!
big_smile.png

1 . dangle a string into the brooder or wherever the chicks are and if a chick atacks it 2 / 4 times or more its a roo and less than its a pullet !!!

2. if you gentally pull the chicks wing out and look at the feathers and they are mostly rounded at the top than they are pullets an if they are sharp than they are roos !!!

3. when you pick up the chick it should chirp like mad if its a roo and if it is more calm than its probs a pullet tho i have seen a bantam roo chick being super calm !!!

for best results i use all 3 ways to find out for defo !!!
wink.png

hope this helped !!!

roxi

xxx
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom