Cuckoo Maran (pullet or cockeral?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newlyweds, May 25, 2010.

1. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Sorry these aren't the best pictures but I'd love to know what sex you think they are

Chick #1 day old (actually a CM cross, but has a large head spot, would this still mean roo? does have barring on wings)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick # 2 Full Cuckoo Maran
    day old pics
    far right in the pic
    [​IMG]
    The chick facing the camera
    [​IMG]
    center of the picture, kind has a splotchy head spot
    [​IMG]
    here's a week old picture with feather growth
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. newlyweds

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I hate to bump my own thread, but any guesses anyone? Please? Pretty Please??

3. OkieChix

OkieChix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    wait a couple more weeks. it a little too soon to sex. but im no eggspert. lol

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sometimes it's easy to tell them apart that early if you have one of each (boy and girl) because you can compare.....but just a pic on the net without a comparison....give it a little more time. [​IMG]
    I'm pretty good at sexing the barred colored chicks, but only after they are about 2 weeks old.

5. newlyweds

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I am updating some of my old threads.

Both of these turned into beautiful pullets! They fooled me in the beginning because they both had larger head spots.

[​IMG]

6. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for posting the update. It's nice to know how they turned out.

7. dailla

dailla New Egg

Aug 29, 2015
    Abilene, Virginia
    Thanks so much for posting this update! I just had 1 hatch that has bonded with me and I was bumming because of a similar head spot. It's nice to know that there is some hope it will be a pullet!

8. WildWithRoxi

WildWithRoxi Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    i know three ways to tell the gender of day old chicks or any age really !!![​IMG]

1 . dangle a string into the brooder or wherever the chicks are and if a chick atacks it 2 / 4 times or more its a roo and less than its a pullet !!!

2. if you gentally pull the chicks wing out and look at the feathers and they are mostly rounded at the top than they are pullets an if they are sharp than they are roos !!!

3. when you pick up the chick it should chirp like mad if its a roo and if it is more calm than its probs a pullet tho i have seen a bantam roo chick being super calm !!!

for best results i use all 3 ways to find out for defo !!! [​IMG]

hope this helped !!!

roxi

xxx
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by