Cuckoo Marans he or she???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cassie29, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cassie29

Cassie29 Chirping

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have a Cuckoo Marans that I got an accident the batch was supposed to be black copper Marans but here I am with a cuckoo she/he is about 3 1/2 weeks old now and I still can’t even guess the gender Please let me know if you can tell what this chick is!

I am tracking the batch of BCMs that I bought to see what they end up being but nobody’s chimed in lately https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-copper-marans-sexing-impatience-pictures.1229481/

2. tuesdaylove

tuesdaylove Songster

Mar 3, 2012
    Georgia
    The chick is too young to make an accurate guess, but I gotta say, that's an awfully big comb for a three-and-a-half week old.

Cassie29 likes this.
  3. Landon1117

Landon1117 Chirping

Apr 16, 2017
    Just by the comb I think it's a he, usually the hens don't develop any pink or red/larger combs until later on. I saw that you have other chicks as well too, and now I really want some more but I already have too many:hmm:lol:. You can compare this Cuckoo with the other chicks just to see the difference in comb size and color, but I also noticed the wattles under "his" beak, which seem quite red. It is still too early to know for sure, but I'm leaning towards roo from the comb and wattles. Good luck with your chicks!

Cassie29 likes this.
  4. Cassie29

Cassie29 Chirping

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    My Coop
    OK yeah I was leaning towards rooster until somebody mentioned something about the feather pattern which I’m not familiar with cuckoos so I wasn’t sure if there is a telltale sign with his feathers!

Thanks!

5. Cassie29

Cassie29 Chirping

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have too many too I couldn’t help myself, it’s not every day that you drive to Florida past a really good breeder where you would’ve had to of paid shipping when I live in Michigan :) :b

6. Landon1117

Landon1117 Chirping

Apr 16, 2017
    Wow, your story sounds a lot more interesting than mine. I just got an email from TSC and desperately had to restrain myself from running over there. I'll probably get stuck with some chicks anyways because one of my ducks is on eggs, and no doubt there are some chicken eggs under her as well. My luck they'll all be roos.:barnie

Cassie29 likes this.
  7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    To tell with a barred breed, a male will have wide white/grey bars and a female will have wide black bars. This makes the males look lighter than the females.
    As a result, I’m on the fence on this one.

Cassie29 likes this.
  8. Cassie29

Cassie29 Chirping

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Lol! Story of my life roosters

9. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop