Cuckoo Marans laid her first egg ... Green!!!!?

Mum

Songster
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
UK
Yesterday, my cuckoo marans came into lay - I was so excited waiting to see her gift and anticipating a lovely chocolate brown egg: I got a green egg!
hu.gif

Now, I trust my breeder, she is every experienced and knowledgeable and only breeds pure breeds, not hybrids.

Since when did cuckoo marans have the green gene?

Well, no doubt about it, she just laid another green egg
roll.png
No chocolate eggs for me this Spring.

Sorry, she's not a purebred. Sounds like your breeder was crossing Marans with Ameraucana's or EE's. Cuckoo Marans do not have a green gene.

Green egg color is created by the blue egg gene with a brown coating (spray paint). Cross to a dark layer and that's how you can get olive colored eggs.

Last edited:
Yes, seems that way. Either that of a rascally Araucana or Cream Legbar cockerel got to her mother hen before she laid her and because she is very cuckoo marans looking, the breeder probably hadn't realised.

Oh well, just adds to the interest of chicken keeping I suppose
wink.png

I don't think any chicken is a mistake. But, the breeder should stand behind her stock and offer you a maran for free. I think that is a fair way of doing buisness. If a mix-up occured, she should try to salvage her reputation and make it right with the customer. You wanted a maran that is what you should have recieved. Enjoy your unique "maran" and have fun gathering those green eggs!

You raise a valid point, chickathon; I did purchase my girl on the basis she was a full-fledged "marans"; not a hybrid.

Maybe I need to re-visit "assertiveness" classes "insert a "blush" smilie"

That's to bad :( However, chocolate for green isn't that bad of a deal. At least it's not just regular brown.

That's to bad :( However, chocolate for green isn't that bad of a deal. At least it's not just regular brown.

Yes, that is a very good point, getting a green egg isn't what I'd expected, but a regular brown one could have proved more of a disappointment. Actually, I'm fine with the green as a consolation and it does add interest
big_smile.png

Yes, that is a very good point, getting a green egg isn't what I'd expected, but a regular brown one could have proved more of a disappointment. Actually, I'm fine with the green as a consolation and it does add interest
big_smile.png

I have barred "Olive Eggers" and some of them look just like a cuckoo marans, so it's very easy to get them mixed up. I am very careful to mark my olive eggers with green zip ties after they hatch so I don't get them mixed up with ameraucanas or other breeds. Maybe your breeder just got them mixed up - I would call and tell him/her about it.

Back
Top Bottom