1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UrbanChicksMKE, Sep 7, 2016.

1. UrbanChicksMKE

UrbanChicksMKE Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi all! So this weekend one of my girls laid her first two eggs! I have 3 pullets and I'm fairly sure which girl is producing already. I was told at the feed store she was cuckoo Marans, but her yellowish/grey legs leads me to believe otherwise. Now I'm not sure becuaused based in the egg color I think they are too dark to be BR. So here are some photos of my girls and the two eggs!

Thanks!!

2. UrbanChicksMKE

Jun 24, 2016
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Or am I completely wrong on who is laying? They are 18.5 weeks. The girl on the right is my EE. They girl in back I was told is a sex link standard brown layer (she was yellow as a baby chick). I was expecting light brown eggs from the sex link. Obviously I'm new to all of this.

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I've never had Marans but those eggs are darker than any eggs I got from my BRs. I vote cuckoo maran!

4. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    I think it's a cuckoo Maran

5. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Interesting! Looks like a Cuckoo Marans egg but Marans will have white skin and beak, not yellow :/. Also, the barring on your girl is not as defined as my BR and not as speckeled as my CM, if that makes sense. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you. I'm curious to see what others think :).

6. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I would say barred rock. The barring is way too defined to be the cuckoo pattern, and the legs and beak are the wrong color. She just might happen to lay dark eggs...

7. UrbanChicksMKE

Jun 24, 2016
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Awesome. Thanks for all the info. I was under the impression that BR only lay about 3x a week. We have only had two eggs but they have been every other day so far.

8. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Hey I just realized u were from Wisconsin. Cool. I haven't seen very many people on BYC who are from Wisconsin.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"m pretty sure that's a Rock. I see her and the Easter egger. Can you get a pic of the bird in the back? I'm wondering if she's a Welsummer.

10. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Could be a mix, I was thinking a Maran cause of the eggs but all the info that others said is making me change my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by