Cuckoo Silkies- Updated Pics Page 4

you will need to keep atleast 4 boys from that mating(the more the better).

each boy should have 10 black silkie hens, collect 100+ eggs from the hens.. cross your fingers and hope for the best. you should atleast get from 6-7 recombinants.

how would you identify the recombinants(id+ B) birds.. well they should have the white spot in their head(sex link barred birds should have this, black birds should have a solid black head down) and have black skin. so white/cream spot in the head and black skin is sing of id+ Barring.

once you are there you let me know ok.... we will go from there...

another qustion will the offspring have fether feet or is this something that takes longer

dont worry about that now, the first cross will have detrimental feathering but this is ok because the second cross to black silkies will bring back lots of silkie traits...

sample..

I wanted to produce more Naked neck chochins, so I started with a nacked neck cochin and a Game rooster(no shank feathering)

Mother

First son

this is Son x mother

as you can see the feathering and other cochin traits are coming back...

Thread revival! Curious- because of the skin pigmentation, is a pink comb at 8 weeks an indication of gender? I have four that have rather pink combs, and one who's comb has remained darker. They are from Blue Ridge silkies (totallycuckoo is his BYC name, I think) and they are partridge and red cuckoo..

How do you create the color cuckoo? I know what to do when I have the color, but how do you create the color?
the Cuckoo color is created by the combination of two genes in their homozygous state.. the Extended Black e locus which turns a bird completely black(some say it needs a bit of help from other melanizers, but we will not get into small details here) so first you need a black base, then you need the sex linked Barring gene B(for barring), and thats how a cuckoo is created..

does barring on itself creates a cuckoo bird? NO. barring on other alleles will not give you cuckoo birds..example if you add the barring gene to the black breasted red phenotype(looks) you will have a "Crele" bird.

This is my cuckoo sizzle rooster.
He is about 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom