culling hens, sadness 😭

Josip

Crowing
Sep 20, 2019
Croatia
Hi guYs i have big problem so i must cull some of my 2 years old hens beacuse they are not productive enough and have some bad quality.
I Always cull roosters for meat and am fine with it.
I never cull hen I raised and give her name and i dont know how to do it.. but its time beacause i breed chickens and sell fertile eggs and its Like my duty to act. ..😭

Hi guYs i have big problem so i must cull some of my 2 years old hens beacuse they are not productive enough and have some bad quality.
I Always cull roosters for meat and am fine with it.
I never cull hen I raised and give her name and i dont know how to do it.. but its time beacause i breed chickens and sell fertile eggs and its Like my duty to act. ..😭
I’m so sorry. I had to go through the same thing with my past flock. :(

I’m so sorry. I had to go through the same thing with my past flock. :(
Am not huge breeder. I have mix Flock 3 flocks with 10 hens1 ro ratio. But i was working on this flock for decade, and i end up having Great genetic..big hens big eggs laying more than 230 eggs and so on.. i know my hens they have names,and i keep recorded all data.
Problem started 2 years ago when i bring in bad quality roster for bood change in one flock. and that bad quality rooster i dont know why but gave me 6 hens who lay really small or fairy eggs. And lay around 60 eggs a year. And i love those hens but i dont feel ok to sell fertile eggs from them and i dont want have 4 th flock of bad quality hens and next year i pair moms of those hens with New rooster and this years pullets are awesome!! So problem was in new rooster 🤦

Yes, it's necessary. But it's difficult.

You've given those ladies an excellent chicken life and now it's time for it to be over.

On the good side, if you're accustomed to culling roosters you've got the skill to end it so fast that they won't even know they're gone.
I got the skill but Like i dont have heart ,i acctualy never cull hen with name my hens lived about 6/7 years and die naturallly except Flora and Dakota they turn 10 this year. Am fine with older hens live their life till the end and if they lay less its beacuse they are older but still they have good gens.. but Young birds must have Great performanse..

I would try and find people who want hens. I would give them a chance.
I would too but after i think twice i dont think that. First i know them i recorded them first and second year so they are now into 3'd year..and beacause i sell fertile eggs and chicks.. and people talk i dont want someone say how they know someone who buy bad quality hens from me.. thats would be Like end of mY little bonus job.

Part of adulting is bearing responsibility for one's actions and inactions both.

You have a situation, predictable when you started chicken keeping, which you have analalyzed and devised a solution for. Its not a decision you reached lightly, and like all adult decisions, it bears consequences - which you recognize, and are feeling.

You have the skills needed to do the deed.

Now, as soon as you have enough light, go out and do it. We have every confidence in you and your abilities. Prolonging it will only increase your suffering. Then, I would recommend your ladies do a final duty in the stew pot, the stock pot, or in sausage.

Culled five of my own birds today. Part of responsible chicken keeping.

/edit and like you, I could have sold these birds - but I won't damage my reputation by selling inferior stock.

Back
Top Bottom