Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

@CluckNDoodle (still trying to learn everyone's names) I admire your organizational skills! Great idea for keeping seeds. I grew up planting gardens with my dad but plan on doing my first garden by myself this Spring .. I cannot wait! Would love any garden tips, tricks or ideas you may have :)

Rei

Thanks! My Husband bought the containers for me a couple years ago as a Christmas gift. 💞 He bought them at Michael's craft store. I believe they're actually for photos or something? But they're perfect for seed packages!

Gardening is going to vary a lot depending on your location so I would google to see what your growing zone is and look for suggestions based on that. I grew up gardening in Southern California with my parents and that was SO MUCH EASIER than gardening here in Georgia. I'm now in what is considered zone 8b. For my hot climate mulch has been the biggest life saver as far as keeping plants alive and the roots cooler. I plan on also trying shade cloth through the hottest months of the summer this year. We'll see how that works out!

Wow, you're a seed bank! How fun to have all those to work with :clap

I love trying unusual varieties of vegetables! Purple artichoke, malabar spinach, rattlesnake beans, Armenian cucumbers, etc. Anything that I can't find in the produce section at my grocery store gets me excited! While we were moving soil into the raised bed this morning we actually found a ton of Omani Pink sweet potatoes that we had missed harvesting last fall. LOL

IMG_20200401_113005950.jpg

I love trying unusual varieties of vegetables! Purple artichoke, malabar spinach, rattlesnake beans, Armenian cucumbers, etc. Anything that I can't find in the produce section at my grocery store gets me excited! While we were moving soil into the raised bed this morning we actually found a ton of Omani Pink sweet potatoes that we had missed harvesting last fall. LOL

View attachment 2071190

Nice find!

Thanks! My Husband bought the containers for me a couple years ago as a Christmas gift. 💞 He bought them at Michael's craft store. I believe they're actually for photos or something? But they're perfect for seed packages!

Gardening is going to vary a lot depending on your location so I would google to see what your growing zone is and look for suggestions based on that. I grew up gardening in Southern California with my parents and that was SO MUCH EASIER than gardening here in Georgia. I'm now in what is considered zone 8b. For my hot climate mulch has been the biggest life saver as far as keeping plants alive and the roots cooler. I plan on also trying shade cloth through the hottest months of the summer this year. We'll see how that works out!
Boy, isn't that the truth!!! I may have mentioned I'm taking a break with the veggie garden this year. :rolleyes: Need to do some work on the soil, and may just build a green house. Hard to grow anything in a rain forest. :lol: Instead, I will do some work in my garden beds, and I wish I were out there right now doing it! Stuck at my computer this morning paying bills and updating Quicken, which I really only do at the 1st of the month, so it's a lot of entering. :caf

You have a great start on your plans! Love the seedling boxes!

But, the good news is, this sunny break in our spring rain means DH is out working on the coop!!! :woot

Boy, isn't that the truth!!! I may have mentioned I'm taking a break with the veggie garden this year. :rolleyes: Need to do some work on the soil, and may just build a green house. Hard to grow anything in a rain forest. :lol: Instead, I will do some work in my garden beds, and I wish I were out there right now doing it! Stuck at my computer this morning paying bills and updating Quicken, which I really only do at the 1st of the month, so it's a lot of entering. :caf

You have a great start on your plans! Love the seedling boxes!

But, the good news is, this sunny break in our spring rain means DH is out working on the coop!!! :woot

lol, Since you grew up in the same county I did, I know that you probably have a VERY good idea of what I'm referring to. :lau Growing up there I really did think it was as simple and sticking seeds in the soil and watering them...surprise surprise there are all kinds of extra steps necessary for the rest of the world! Haha

I bet a green house would be a fantastic idea for your area! Are you in any of your local gardening groups that might be able to give you tips for your climate?

lol, Since you grew up in the same county I did, I know that you probably have a VERY good idea of what I'm referring to. :lau Growing up there I really did think it was as simple and sticking seeds in the soil and watering them...surprise surprise there are all kinds of extra steps necessary for the rest of the world! Haha

I bet a green house would be a fantastic idea for your area! Are you in any of your local gardening groups that might be able to give you tips for your climate?
Haha...pretty rural here. Farm country. Haven't heard of a gardening group. However, there is a Master Gardener course at the local community college. If we are allowed to get together again by then, I may join the summer session.

Yes, in OC I had a poinsettia grow to be an umbrella tree. :lol: The weather is perfect for growing, but now there are so many people there is no earth left in which to plant. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom