Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

Good morning everybody! Thanks for the coffee, Debby! You always make it just right!

DH made a little headway on the coop yesterday since we had a fairly clear day. :woot Queen Bee is anxious to get back out with her besties. She's actually looking really good. :yesss:

Glad to hear Queen Bee has kept up her recovery! When do you think she'll go back to the flock?

Good Morning, all! Thanks for the coffee, Debby. :)

It has been chilly here, too. 10 degrees (F) this morning.

Do you have snow too Riv? We're up to about 4" now and it just keeps coming.

That's definitely chilly, Riv!

I always think I'd rather have the snow than the rain, Debby, because it's easier on the chickens, but then I remember how those cold temps freeze my fingers right through the gloves.

I want the weather I left in So Cal and the foliage and view I have here. :lol:

We don't get a lot of rain here Val, but it sure is messy when it does. But the girls hate the snow and won't get out until I shovel some clear ground for them. They were certainly complaining this morning, grouchy things.

I miss the weather we had in Florida. DH got tired of the heat and humidity but I liked it!

Glad to hear Queen Bee has kept up her recovery! When do you think she'll go back to the flock?
I'd like to wait until tomorrow afternoon when we are supposed to get a several day break in the rain, but she is getting antsy, so it may be this afternoon. She is looking healthy and eating well. I've been trying to avoid another relapse, but at some point it feels more like prison than a hospital. :lol: She's happy to be there when she is sick, but not so much once she is feeling better.

We don't get a lot of rain here Val, but it sure is messy when it does. But the girls hate the snow and won't get out until I shovel some clear ground for them. They were certainly complaining this morning, grouchy things.

I miss the weather we had in Florida. DH got tired of the heat and humidity but I liked it!
We rarely get anything more than a couple inches of snow, and not even that every year. On the rare occasion that it is deeper, I shovel paths too. We had a little dusting of snow this year, maybe an inch, and I woke up to an alarm call. I rushed out there to find one of them, standing in the middle of the run, yelling the sky was falling. :lau She could not figure out the white things falling on her. :gigWish I could remember who that was. I was half asleep. :lol:

I made thread earlier about breed recommendations but I wanted to ask you all if you have any personal experience/suggestions on docile/friendly, good laying breeds. I am going to order my first backyard flock here soon :love Looking at getting 6-8 chicks. They will be used for eggs (mainly) but I would love for them to be family pets as well!

Also, I want a mixed breed flock. Are there certain breeds that are more compatible than others?

Rei

I made thread earlier about breed recommendations but I wanted to ask you all if you have any personal experience/suggestions on docile/friendly, good laying breeds. I am going to order my first backyard flock here soon :love Looking at getting 6-8 chicks. They will be used for eggs (mainly) but I would love for them to be family pets as well!

Also, I want a mixed breed flock. Are there certain breeds that are more compatible than others?
I love this question! As much as I've been talking about the two queens, personality-wise they are not my favorites. (But I :love them!!!) They are Rhode Island Reds.

My favorites are orpingtons!!! They are big, fluffy, sweet chickens! And if you want variety, there are so many to choose from. I have Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpingtons, and Australorps, but there are others too. I'm not the type to sit in the pen and hold chickens on my lap, but if I were, these would be the friendly type to do it with.

One of my BOs is broody right now too, and sitting on eggs! :ya

Back
Top Bottom