Curled feet. Help!

Ledgewood7

Chirping
Oct 24, 2014
Connecticut
Help! My only pea that hatched has curled up feet. It's been more than 10 hours since he hatched. He's dried off and seems to want to get up and walk but can't. Can anything be done to save him? My only experience has been splayed legs with chickens and they never made it.

IMG_0824.JPG

Try tapeing it's toes straight. Only takes a day maybe 2 for the toes to straighten out. I've done this before on many different chicks that had curled toes. You have to keep a close eye on them, to make sure the tape doesn't come off but it can be done.

like 007 said taping shoes work great on chicken chicks so I imagine they would work well on your pea chick. Put a piece of tape sticky side up on the bottom of each foot making sure the foot is taped flat out, then put another piece of tape on top of the foot so that the toes / feet are taped flat in between the pieces of tape. Leave for a day or two all should be straight when you take the tape off.

My Bantam chicks were like that for about a day or two before they got strong enough to open their feet and start walkin around

For the first day or two the only thing a baby chick needs is a warm dry space no water or feed most of all no water they can get stuck in water container and drowned. until they start movin around after like day 2 then they will require all normal chick care.

Back
Top Bottom