Curled foot in baby chick; now, won't stand on legs

AmberZooKeeper

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2018
Peoria, IL
Hi, guys! I was hoping you all can help me out! I had some shipped eggs hatch on Sunday. There was one little chick that had a very rough hatch, and I thought we were going to lose him yesterday he was that bad. (Couldn't stand, was flopping over, head rolling back, barely making a sound). So, I brought him upstairs wrapped him in a towel and heating pad. Gave him water in a syringe and now a bottle cap. Not really eating much though. I do have some boiled egg and chick starter available for him if he will eat it. I did notice yesterday he had some slight curling of his toes on one of his feet so I made something to spread his feet last night. I have taken it off today to just see how things are going and if he can walk. Now, he isn't putting any weight on his legs, and he can only do this weird jump thing. Any ideas? He is doing a million times better than yesterday- I am hoping this continues and he can be 100% soon! Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_105644.jpg
    IMG_20190402_105644.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190402_105639.jpg
    IMG_20190402_105639.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190402_105636.jpg
    IMG_20190402_105636.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 11
I've had a couple of chicks that had a rough start of it after an unusually challenging hatch. They got stronger after a few days and seem just fine now. You might offer some nutri drench or save-a-chick vitamin/electrolyte supplements, if you haven't already tried that. I've got my fingers crossed that your little guy continues to strengthen and pulls through. It's a cutie.

I've had a couple of chicks that had a rough start of it after an unusually challenging hatch. They got stronger after a few days and seem just fine now. You might offer some nutri drench or save-a-chick vitamin/electrolyte supplements, if you haven't already tried that. I've got my fingers crossed that your little guy continues to strengthen and pulls through. It's a cutie.

I ordered some Nutridrench, and it will be here tomorrow!

Oh have I had this problem before and I put one down today but I am getting old and don't have the energy I use to have but I will give you some advise as it seems you are willing to work with your chick so cut out a piece of hard paper the size of the chicks foot and attach it to the chicks foot tape will work .... Good luck ..

Oh have I had this problem before and I put one down today but I am getting old and don't have the energy I use to have but I will give you some advise as it seems you are willing to work with your chick so cut out a piece of hard paper the size of the chicks foot and attach it to the chicks foot tape will work .... Good luck ..

Thank you! I have done this already, and Pain (is the chicks name because he or she's been a pain for us haha) was able to stand up! I am just wondering why he's not standing up on his legs and what I can do to help the little one move the way he should! Is this due to the curled foot and since I have corrected it, he or she should be walking ok soon?

Back
Top Bottom