Curled toes

Bandit23

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
One of my broody hens has hatched 5 chicks as of today and the one that hatched last night has curled toes they are both feet. The worst two toes are the middle ones. I've looked up how to fix it, but it won't stay still and chirps really loudly every time I touch her feet. She also can't walk but she can balance on her feet for a few seconds by leaning on the other chicks. Also, she did stay still for me after a little bit but I couldn't straighten out her toe to wrap the tape around. So, what is the easiest way to fixed her curled toes and is it absolutely nessecary to fix? Will she still be able to run around outside and live a normal life like the others with her toes curled like that? If I do leave them alone, will it hurt her? Will she ever be able to walk? And she has furry feet so I'm afraid to use tape or anything but tape, bandaids, and pipe cleaners are the only things I have to use. Will tape or bandaids over her furry feet rip it off when I try to take it off?

Last edited:
If you leave her toes/feet curled she will not have a quality of life, not saying she will suffer or wont be a good bird but she cant live up to her potential that way and couldn't live a normal life. I've never had trouble with my Duccles with bandaids, tape or other sticky things, and Duccles also have feathered feet, Best of Luck!!

In the search box put "Curled toes treatment." It should pop up with several items. It would be best to have an assistant wrap the chick in a small towel with just the feet hanging out - to help keep it calm and still. Have the bandaids and whatever else material handy so you can put up quickly. Just born chicks, do not walk well and fall over easy, its exhausting pushing themselves out of eggs.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Good luck treating your chick!

Okay so I did put the tape and pipe cleaners on her toes and she was still walking around about the same and when I went to check on her this morning, she was lying in the water bowl dead so.....

Back
Top Bottom