1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curly toes on my 1-month old chick--will she be ok? (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by telehillco, Apr 8, 2009.

1. telehillco

telehillco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Front Range, CO
    I'm new to chicken ownership and have been loving every minute, but have a concern about one of my one-month old RIR chicks who has developed a "curly" toe on both feet. I never noticed anything until maybe two weeks ago, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. She doesn't have any problem walking, or perching so far it seems and she doesn't seem to mind when I try to straighten it. Should I worry or do something, or will she just have unique feet?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It happens, she'll be fine. Sometimes it is incubation and sometimes it is genetic.

3. telehillco

telehillco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Front Range, CO
    Thanks for the quick reply. That makes me feel better!

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    First, [​IMG] -- you're among friends here!

I have a 1 y/o Buff Orp who got crooked toes on each foot around 1 month, too. She gets around just fine. It makes it easy to tell her apart from the others. We call her "crazy Daisy crooked toes."

5. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    thats notin, i got a roster with that, look for the section of mine called " upward twisted toes, my rooster i pefectly heathy,

6. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    is pefectly heathy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by