Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

Pics
THanks for the recap!! My kids are clamoring to go to this with their friends over school vaca week. MY reponse has been, "we'll see" which is usually code for all the moms need to talk over the details and settle on a date, lol. Hard to co-ordinate 3-5 families so the kids can go together.

I also didn't care that much for Lego Movie as much as I had looked forward to it. The kids seemed to enjoy it - had 6 with us ranging from ages 5 to 15. My husband fell asleep and I did a head bob a few times. Enjoyed Frozen much, much more! Even Free Birds for that matter.....

Tricia I have to laugh
gig.gif
, about the bobbing head thing. My brother and I do so much of that you could call us bobble heads.

Thank you for your review and hope you'll continue and send more.

I know it’s been out of theatres for a while, but I finally saw “Ender’s Game” and I have such mixed feelings about this movie. I hate seeing movies when I have read the book. I am NEVER satisfied with them.
They really tried with this movie. But the thing was doomed. The best movies are made from short stories. And there just is no way to capture what was going on in the minds of the characters. I knew, but that’s because I read the book. And the efforts to bring the viewers into the minds of the characters seemed pretty flat. And the child actors that they had to use just didn’t have the maturity to create a nuanced role. Big sigh. I just ended up wishing that everyone who viewed the movie could read the book instead. I LOVED the book. I want to explain to people who haven’t read it what was really going on and how much of a Sadist Ender’s brother was and how much Ender was worried he would become him and a lot of the bonding stuff that happened at the school and how evil the bad kid was and how the “tests” at the end were so intense and taxing that Petra collapsed and had to be relieved of her command and what was really happening with the aliens. The movie frustrated the heck out of me because it glossed over so much stuff of the internal stuff that really was what made the book so great.

pysanki My son read the book and said he would NEVER go see the movie because they couldn't show what was going on in their minds.

I never read the book, or even knew about it - so I pretty much enjoyed the movie. That makes the crucial difference.

I wondered what someone who'd never read the book would think.

I watched it a second time and it was better for me. I'd come to terms with what it wasn't and was able to see what it WAS a little more.

My son finally rented "Enders Game" he said it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. For him that is almost a compliment. He HAS read the book. But, he thought Harrison Ford was awful. I agree on that.

Yes I agree about Harrison Ford. I didn't like him in the movie either. I had mot read the book so I didn't know much about the movie. I liked some of the movie and didn't care for others. Mostly just Harrison Ford.

Oh, cool...I agree. what a reilief.

to be honest...I thought it was just me because he looks too much like my dad, who had an anger issue and when Harrison Ford is doing his anger thing he looks a bit like my dad beginning to go appoplectic.

Back
Top Bottom