Cute Story

hendrix25

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
GA
History: We have a semi-tame deer that hangs around our house. We've named her Katie and she comes to her name, very well. She's been coming around for at least 4 years. She always has a baby or babies with her in the summers. Her favorite food is loaf bread. It's hilarious when she comes around, when I see her I go get the bread and she starts licking her lips and "wagging" her tail...too cute
love.gif

The other evening we came in from grabbing a bite to eat. I let the ducks out, and was standing there talking to them. I refer to them as "baaabies" in a somewhat high pitch babish voice. (Gay, I know, but they're me babies) Anyways, I turned around and bam there was Katie standing 5 feet from me. We think she thought I was saying "Kaaatie" (katie/babies, i could see where she would have been confused) Granted she scared me to death but I was super excited to see her. Keep in mind this will be the first interaction with the ducks. So I went in the house to get the bread. She waited, patiently like she always does. I came back out and she started licking her lips and getting ready for the bread. Well I sat on the porch step and started throwing her pieces. Then here came the ducks! She looked at them and they looked at me like what in the world is that? She continued to eat, guess she knew she was bigger than them. It was too funny, they were pasing back and forth behind her trying to figure out how to get closer to me because I was giving out "treats", not their kind of treats, but they didn't know that. They finally gave up and went back to the bugs in the yard. But it was too cute. When Katie was finished she turned around to walk away, and they started to run after her is if they were "running her off", she quickly turned around and they stopped in their tracks! My DH and I were rolling we were laughing so hard.
lau.gif
I was nervous that Katie would charge them but she didn't. I'm sure she thought, what are these crazy critters? My husband took some pics I'll post them later.

We used to have a white doe that hung around the neighborhood. Local superstition is that white deers are lucky, her generally accepted name was "Lucky". She started to run with a hansome normal colored young buck and dropped her twin fawns behind my barn that summer Those fawns were UGLY! Splotched with colors in an uneven pattern. I was surprised that my ducks and geese accepted the family. the deer would jump the fence, steal food and water and lay down to nap with the birds in their shady spot.
Then something happened, Lucky was no longer welcome but the fawns were! I finally put out a bucket of water outside the fence so lucky could keep an eye on the fawns while they were visiting. If she jumped the fence the geese would mob her!
The family were ranging farther and farther for food and their visits decreased. Lucky wasn't and was killed by a car up on the highway a year later. Evidently her clan prospered since we now have about 6-8 of those ugly colored deer around.

Quote:
Thats so neat. I love having Katie coming through. Not many ppl get that opportunity to interact with wildlife on good terms

I have a mama like that...this year she came with triplets!
ep.gif
I just bought them a deer seed block to supplement. They are too cute.

PS: I call my ducks "baaabies" too...so you are not sounding anything other than a happy duck mama.

Last edited:
oh yes they do...mine will get take off running to me and sometime "fly" to me. i just love them

WOW, I would love that have that interaction! We once had a deer standing behind our chicken coop and it stood looking at us and we stood looking at it, that's the closest we've come to that at our place. Beyond the deer who made contact with our Suburban last week when DH was coming home........
ep.gif

Quote:
Before I had the ducks and before I first saw Lucky I swear a small herd of deer would hide in my old horse barn during daylight during hunting season! I would see the fresh droppings in the barn and I was sick one night and actually saw them drift into the barn and leave when it started to get dark.
I have just recently learned that game officials released coyote to keep the deer population under control. Guess what wiped out my last flock of waterfowl...... I suppose they will import wolves to keep the coyote population under control next.....

Back
Top Bottom