cutest chicken names!

Pics
How in the heck do you hatch an egg that has been sitting in a store under refrigeration? If so, how did the little thing turn out?

Let it warm up to room temperature and then put in the incubator and
fl.gif

What hatched...
TeJae at one day and about a month later.

She's out in the coop and I haven't taken a picture lately (she's about 4 months old now), but she's developing pullet wattles and her comb is getting larger and pinker.

If the eggs are particularly fertile and good you end up with a potful of chicks (see avatar...yes, those are Trader Joe's chicks)

Last edited:
fl.gif

What hatched...

She's out in the coop and I haven't taken a picture lately (she's about 4 months old now), but she's developing pullet wattles and her comb is getting larger and pinker.

If the eggs are particularly fertile and good you end up with a potful of chicks (see avatar...yes, those are Trader Joe's chicks)
I can't believe this. You should have an article in the local paper. Maybe she was fertilized and no one know about it.? A
fl.gif

What hatched...

How did you know to hatch her not knowing if she was fertilized?

Yes, the assumption is that the eggs are fertile in the "Fertile Eggs" box. But, to tell you the honest truth, in talking to people they're amazed that stuff will hatch out of supermarket eggs and they've never seen "Fertile Eggs" at their supermarket. Many stores (not all, but especially organic grocers) sell fertile eggs. Many stores don't. So if you've never seen fertile eggs at the supermarket it would definitely seem very odd indeed that chickens can hatch out of store-bought eggs.

Now, interestingly enough, Trader Joe's was actually having complaints from folks about their fertile eggs not being fertile, i.e., no bullseye on the egg to indicate a chicken mating had taken place. In fact, I was kind of expecting only one or two chicks to hatch out per dozen as had been the history of me, incubation and TJ eggs in the past. So I set 3 dozen eggs earlier this month hoping to add a pullet or two to my coop...3 dozen eggs = 2 live eggs per dozen (or 6); 6 divided by 2 for boys/girls = *maybe* 3 pullets. In the past A LOT of the TJ eggs were duds. But it appears the Trader Joe's flock farms had recently upped their rooster potency game and shipping out very fertile eggs because I certainly wasn't expecting 26 chicks! (those 26 in my avatar)

Last edited:
Yes, the assumption is that the eggs are fertile in the "Fertile Eggs" box. But, to tell you the honest truth, in talking to people they're amazed that stuff will hatch out of supermarket eggs and they've never seen "Fertile Eggs" at their supermarket. Many stores (not all, but especially organic grocers) sell fertile eggs. Many stores don't. So if you've never seen fertile eggs at the supermarket it would definitely seem very odd indeed that chickens can hatch out of store-bought eggs.

Now, interestingly enough, Trader Joe's was actually having complaints from folks about their fertile eggs not being fertile, i.e., no bullseye on the egg to indicate a chicken mating had taken place. In fact, I was kind of expecting only one or two chicks to hatch out per dozen as had been the history of me, incubation and TJ eggs in the past. So I set 3 dozen eggs earlier this month hoping to add a pullet or two to my coop...3 dozen eggs = 2 live eggs per dozen (or 6); 6 divided by 2 for boys/girls = *maybe* 3 pullets. In the past A LOT of the TJ eggs were duds. But it appears the Trader Joe's flock farms had recently upped their rooster potency game and shipping out very fertile eggs because I certainly wasn't expecting 26 chicks! (those 26 in my avatar)
we have a local farm, that has a local super market and sells a variety of things one of them also being eggs from their flock of birds they have both for eggs and meat that is sold along with the beef and pigs they sell at the store... anyways I want to try to hatch out some of their eggs :)

We are about to get our first 6 chicks. I would love to do the old lady name theme, but I have a feeling my 6 year olds are going to insist on Disney Princess names :)

Well I have never known this... WOW! 26
jumpy.gif
Do you know what kind they are? Does it say on the box? I am fascinated.

It doesn't say on the box as that would probably be a big turnoff to those that actually eat the eggs. Kind of like "Here's Bossy. Enjoy your burger!"

Research reveals the laying hens are a leghorn hybrid called Hy-Lines. The roosters are unknown, but some of the chicks have dots on them like an Austra White, so the roos could be Australorps. Another person who has hatched them has a couple of chicks with barring on the feathers. Usually for factory head counts (keep in mind these are warehoused birds laying thousands of eggs a day) they'll have the sexes of the breeding flocks be different colors.

As to what the actual hatched chicks are, I don't know. I just call them TJ's or Production Whites and they should be very good layers.

Back
Top Bottom