Cutting protein....

Amy S

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Chicago, IL (west suburbs)
I am having a hard time finding some past threads/posts about ways to cut protein content consumed. Can anyone help me out? I was just reading the sticky on acceptable foods/supplements, wishing there was one for this topic! TY in advance.
big_smile.png

You can cut protein with greens, whole oats, and corn. But corn is a filler more than anything. My duck wont have anything to do with it. Im sure others will have better advice. What age? Current protein level?

Thanks for the quick reply. My runners are just over three weeks old. They are on a Rural King brand meatbird crumble diet, plus finely chopped romaine every few mornings. I have looked the bag over numerous times and cannot find an exact protein % listed. I also haven't been able to locate one online. It's driving me bonkers.
barnie.gif

They seem to be growing great and have had no problems that I can see....just want to make sure I'm giving them a proper diet at this time.

Aha! There was a mattress type tag on the very bottom of the bag that has values. This crumble is designed for turkeys,ducks,geese, and gamebirds "from day one of age to finish".

Mine says "Crude Protein..............Min. 21.0%

Well, now, this label is not much help in determining exact % of protein.
hmm.png

You will want to reduce that protein level while wing feathers are coming in. After feathers are in and the ducks can hold their wings correctly, then they can go back on that feed. Make sure the ducklings can exercise their wings as the feathers are coming in.

If you go to Metzer's website, they have a calculator to figure protein % on combined feeds. Rolled oats is what is usually used to cut protein levels for ducks. Feed store rolled oats, not the stuff for people.

I'm sure you are doing it, but for the benefit of other people reading: the ducklings must have baby chick grit as soon as they eat anything other than ground mash.

Why does it have to be feed store rolled oats? Just curious...I was reading storeys guide to ducks and it said to cut with oatmeal or rolled oats so I bought some organic rolled oats from the store but these are people ones...are these going to be okay?

Back
Top Bottom