Molting

Learning101

In the Brooder
May 10, 2022
Hi all I need help in molting with my Muscovy duck. Some part of his feathers had been replaced such as the top of his wings and underbelly but not much around his neck and wings. I have been consistently feeding him with roughly 50-60 mealworms a day this past two months but nothing grows on his wing and his neck has been covered with down cluster. I’m thinking of cutting his intake of mealworm to 10 because I don’t him to get overdosed yet I’m afraid he might not get enough protein for his feathers. What should I do? With this I attach photo of his neck, his wing both right and left and the overall growth of his feathers. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0677.jpeg
    IMG_0677.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 11
Do you know the protein content of his pellets? it may be that if you cut out the tomatoes, carrot mixed millet, and wheat he may be getting plenty of protein in his feed. Also another way to make sure they are getting adequate protein during molt is to add dry dog kibble [small sized] Good quality or cat food. I go with dry dog kibble since I have a dog. Mine also get mealworms. But the dog kibble and mealworms are only a treat daily.

But I thought by increasing the mealworms , it will make up protein deficiency in the pellet? My girl molt just fine, it’s just this boy and it’s kind of worrying. If I have to add cat food in his diet, what’s the portion and how many times in a day should I give him? I normally feed him twice a day, both in the morning and evening. For how long should I do this? Another month? I don’t see any feathers drop in the coop but his overall feathers does not grow well if I compare with the girl

Last edited:
Mealworms are a good source of protein but when in molt they need all nutrients they get from their feed. So mealworms should only be a treat and I only give them out 1x a day. Along with a cup of dog kibble. Now this is how I feed my flock it’s not set in stone everyone does things different. I just want my flock of 28 to get the most nutrients they can out of their feed and the treats add to it. I also free feed my flock they have food available all during the day.
You don’t have to add cat food or dog food this is just what some of us do. I don’t know why your drakes feathers aren’t coming in normal how old is he?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom