Cyst like thing on baby chick bottom

Little Miss Chick

Chirping
12 Years
May 16, 2011
Does anyone know what this is? We have soaked the chick in Epson salt warm water. And have given a laxative of molasses and water. Seems to be eating fine. Not lethargic. Help!

Attachments

• 9BA914EE-0A90-4DD1-BD6E-BB1B74709506.jpeg
    9BA914EE-0A90-4DD1-BD6E-BB1B74709506.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 69
Need a better pic that's actually in focus.
Can't tell if it's interfering with the vent.
Swelling seems to have gone down a lot. That pic was yesterday. The molasses seems to be working. Perhaps we got bad food.

Attachments

• 6600E234-F743-485A-AE83-84C3774BC28F.jpeg
    6600E234-F743-485A-AE83-84C3774BC28F.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 16
I'm not sure what's causing that.
Could be injury, infection, hernia or ?

If the Molasses flush is helping, perhaps constipation. I'd make sure she doesn't dehydrate, Molasses does have the laxative effect in poultry, so you need to see that's she's drinking o.k. too.

If she eating and moving about o.k.?
If that's reducing and she seems fine otherwise, you can take a wait and see approach - continue with treatment/care like you are doing.

Thanks. Right now I have a little bowl of molasses mixture with her. Should I put a little bowl of water too? I have her separated from others. I’m thinking about changing food. Bought chick crumbles from Atwoods. We had another one die earlier in the week that looked like the same thing. Didn’t get to her soon enough.

Thanks. Right now I have a little bowl of molasses mixture with her. Should I put a little bowl of water too? I have her separated from others. I’m thinking about changing food. Bought chick crumbles from Atwoods. We had another one die earlier in the week that looked like the same thing. Didn’t get to her soon enough.
You may want to give her a choice, but likely she will take the Molasses water just fine, it may cause loose poop.

Changing food might be worth a try to see if that helps too. Check the mill date on whatever you buy to make sure it's fresh.

Back
Top Bottom