D**n dog! VENT

my5hens

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
I have a 8 month old Golden Retriever. He is a 60 lb ball of energy. Today I let the girls have some play time and somehow the dog snuck out of the house and started chasing the hens! The poor things were terrified and he managed to grab one by the neck and thank God he is still dumb enough to not have a tight grip on her and she was able to escape his mouth.
somad.gif
I quickly grabbed them and threw them back in their coop. Seriously, I cant let the girls out if he is around. He doesnt listen! I mean he almost killed her!

He's still a pup..don't be to upset with him. He's only doing what come natural. It won't take long to train him. Stern NO's work well with my dogs and if they go near the chickens they get chained up for a while and then we try again. It takes a while to train dogs...especially YOUNG doggies like yours. He's just being a puppy though
big_smile.png
He will learn just be patient with him
big_smile.png

Quote:
smack.gif
Ummm...he's a Retriever, that's why he didn't kill her. It's his instinct to retrieve. You have a great dog, others would have killed her.
He's not dumb at all...if you want to get rid of him, just tell any bird hunter what he did, and he's just a pup! My DH would love to have a retriever like that, and I take it he hasn't even been trained to hunt
clap.gif
Goodness gracious!
smile.png

Last edited:
My dog would have KILLED that bird in a hot minute...
And even then, its NOT her fault... its mine. I'm supposed to be the smart human that keeps her away from my birds or trains her to not kill them.
Yeah... i FAILED on both counts there... if my dogs get in my back yard..the birds are dead meat. Again... NOT her fault though.

Ok I am calmed down now.....

So maybe he's not a dumb dog. I was still mad when I posted. He just scared me because he loves to grab things in his mouth then run off with whatever it is and eventually chew it. I really do love the dog, he just scared me and the poor hen totally freaked out.

sounds like a good retriever with a soft mouth. I hope he turns out to be a good chicken guard!

I bet your dog will do fine when he gets older. He just can't help himself...he is a bird dog and by golly there was a BIRD! Right there! Luckily your hen was not hurt as others have said. I have a young dog myself and I absolutely cannot trust her with the birds. As she gets older some of her training will kick in, but I know that some small animal fluttering around on the ground would be too tempting. And I would not want to chance anything either. I know I would probably have a less than stellar response if one of my own dogs grabbed one of the chickens. Glad your girl is OK!

Kris

Back
Top Bottom