D**n dog! VENT

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my5hens, Jun 16, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    I have a 8 month old Golden Retriever. He is a 60 lb ball of energy. Today I let the girls have some play time and somehow the dog snuck out of the house and started chasing the hens! The poor things were terrified and he managed to grab one by the neck and thank God he is still dumb enough to not have a tight grip on her and she was able to escape his mouth. [​IMG] I quickly grabbed them and threw them back in their coop. Seriously, I cant let the girls out if he is around. He doesnt listen! I mean he almost killed her!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    He's still a pup..don't be to upset with him. He's only doing what come natural. It won't take long to train him. Stern NO's work well with my dogs and if they go near the chickens they get chained up for a while and then we try again. It takes a while to train dogs...especially YOUNG doggies like yours. He's just being a puppy though [​IMG] He will learn just be patient with him [​IMG]

3. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:[​IMG] Ummm...he's a Retriever, that's why he didn't kill her. It's his instinct to retrieve. You have a great dog, others would have killed her.
    He's not dumb at all...if you want to get rid of him, just tell any bird hunter what he did, and he's just a pup! My DH would love to have a retriever like that, and I take it he hasn't even been trained to hunt [​IMG] Goodness gracious! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    You have a great dog, others would have killed her.

I totally agree with this! I think he/she is starting out to be a great chicken doggie [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My dog would have KILLED that bird in a hot minute...
    And even then, its NOT her fault... its mine. I'm supposed to be the smart human that keeps her away from my birds or trains her to not kill them.
    Yeah... i FAILED on both counts there... if my dogs get in my back yard..the birds are dead meat. Again... NOT her fault though.

6. my5hens

Jan 17, 2011
    Ok I am calmed down now.....

So maybe he's not a dumb dog. I was still mad when I posted. He just scared me because he loves to grab things in his mouth then run off with whatever it is and eventually chew it. I really do love the dog, he just scared me and the poor hen totally freaked out.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I know.... its okay to be upset about it... [​IMG]

8. my5hens

Jan 17, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG]

9. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    sounds like a good retriever with a soft mouth. I hope he turns out to be a good chicken guard!

10. petdr96

petdr96 New Egg

Apr 29, 2011
    I bet your dog will do fine when he gets older. He just can't help himself...he is a bird dog and by golly there was a BIRD! Right there! Luckily your hen was not hurt as others have said. I have a young dog myself and I absolutely cannot trust her with the birds. As she gets older some of her training will kick in, but I know that some small animal fluttering around on the ground would be too tempting. And I would not want to chance anything either. I know I would probably have a less than stellar response if one of my own dogs grabbed one of the chickens. Glad your girl is OK!

Kris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by