1. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    My 3 yr old lab is always near me. The 7 hens free range on @1.5 of land. They tend to stay near the coop or various ground brushes. This Is in Nebraska. My dog tends to ignore them unless they are in my arms, as in today.
    Today my dog grabbed her. she lost feathers but her skin tore across her thigh area. She is isolated now
    I washed it out using a siringe with saline, no puntcture wounds only skin torn. next I poured hydrogen peroxide over it, I saw a little foaming up and I finished with poultry wound spray I picked up at tractor supply. It contains arginine and?
    I've move her food and water lower, gave her some sunflower seeds, that is what she is doing in the pic.

Attached Files:

2. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    Ouch that looks bad you should rap it so it dosent get infected

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like you are treating the wound well. You may also want to apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wound to keep it somewhat moist.

Try your best to keep the flies off or away. You can try applying some Swat on the outer edges of the wound to help deter flying insects.

Eating/drinking is good - if you have them give her a boost with some poultry vitamins for a couple of days and offer some extra protein like egg, tuna, beef liver, etc.

Jo Anne and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

5. Jo Anne

Feb 1, 2013
    Suggestions wrap how? Baby t-shirt? Gauze?

6. Jo Anne

Feb 1, 2013
    Thank u I have heard chickens have an amazing way to heal them selves. Will her skin grow back.

7. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    What I did when a raccoon ate my roosters wing I covered his stub with anti septic an then put bandaids on it but you'll need large bandaids with gauze and tape to keep it on don't let her run too much that gets their blood flowing and then their bleeding all over.

8. Jo Anne

Feb 1, 2013
    Tu she didn't really bleed. Skin is torn apart from her meat

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Wound looks fairly clean in first photos posted. You can trim some of the feathers if need be to keep them out of the wound.
    Personally, I would not wrap the wound. It needs air to help heal. Keep it moistened/covered with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin, bacitracin) or Vetericyn. Flies will be a bigger problem, so try to stay on top of that.

10. Jo Anne

Feb 1, 2013
    Thank u a
    She seems ok except her so on is no longer attached.
    Someone mention glue or stitched
    to place the skin in its proper place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by