D

Jo Anne

Songster
Feb 1, 2013
My 3 yr old lab is always near me. The 7 hens free range on @1.5 of land. They tend to stay near the coop or various ground brushes. This Is in Nebraska. My dog tends to ignore them unless they are in my arms, as in today.
Today my dog grabbed her. she lost feathers but her skin tore across her thigh area. She is isolated now
I washed it out using a siringe with saline, no puntcture wounds only skin torn. next I poured hydrogen peroxide over it, I saw a little foaming up and I finished with poultry wound spray I picked up at tractor supply. It contains arginine and?
I've move her food and water lower, gave her some sunflower seeds, that is what she is doing in the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 6
It sounds like you are treating the wound well. You may also want to apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wound to keep it somewhat moist.

Try your best to keep the flies off or away. You can try applying some Swat on the outer edges of the wound to help deter flying insects.

Eating/drinking is good - if you have them give her a boost with some poultry vitamins for a couple of days and offer some extra protein like egg, tuna, beef liver, etc.

It sounds like you are treating the wound well. You may also want to apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wound to keep it somewhat moist.

Try your best to keep the flies off or away. You can try applying some Swat on the outer edges of the wound to help deter flying insects.

Eating/drinking is good - if you have them give her a boost with some poultry vitamins for a couple of days and offer some extra protein like egg, tuna, beef liver, etc.

Thank u I have heard chickens have an amazing way to heal them selves. Will her skin grow back.

What I did when a raccoon ate my roosters wing I covered his stub with anti septic an then put bandaids on it but you'll need large bandaids with gauze and tape to keep it on don't let her run too much that gets their blood flowing and then their bleeding all over.

What I did when a raccoon ate my roosters wing I covered his stub with anti septic an then put bandaids on it but you'll need large bandaids with gauze and tape to keep it on don't let her run too much that gets their blood flowing and then their bleeding all over.
Tu she didn't really bleed. Skin is torn apart from her meat

Wound looks fairly clean in first photos posted. You can trim some of the feathers if need be to keep them out of the wound.
Personally, I would not wrap the wound. It needs air to help heal. Keep it moistened/covered with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin, bacitracin) or Vetericyn. Flies will be a bigger problem, so try to stay on top of that.

Wound looks fairly clean in first photos posted. You can trim some of the feathers if need be to keep them out of the wound.
Personally, I would not wrap the wound. It needs air to help heal. Keep it moistened/covered with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin, bacitracin) or Vetericyn. Flies will be a bigger problem, so try to stay on top of that.
Thank u a
She seems ok except her so on is no longer attached.
Someone mention glue or stitched
to place the skin in its proper place.

Back
Top Bottom