Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeBlackbird, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    that would be great if you could take the little webbed buy to work. How could you work though? I'd be too busy giving my little duck attention.....if I had one.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    You can have pure whites (no color, will produce only pure white offspring) and you can have whites that are not pure (have colored background genetics so will produce colored offspring). I had some hatch this year that were white with a single black spot on the head or tail, but look totally white now that they are feathered. But they will produce white and white/colored offspring

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Wobbles comes from pure white show stock, I just thought it was cute that he has ONE dark feather. Just a single teeny, tiny one on the top of his head. [​IMG]

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    That means that the parents he came from, even if they are show birds, are not pure whites. They have color in their background somewhere!
    Personally, I love the spotted ones. I have one hen that I kept that was white as a duckling, grew 2 black feathers at the base of her tail as a juvie, and now that shes got her adult feathers shes solid white again

5. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Well, all of his birds came from either Art Lundgren's, David Touchette's or Charlie Hodum's show lines. But considering he received some of those birds from friends of his that could potentially be 2nd generation accidental mutts, you may be right. Still, he's got great parentage all the same! (hey, a mama can brag. :p ) See when he was a juvie, I thought he'd just gotten into something that stained him or worse, I'd accidentally marked him when I was making his costume. So I snipped it off - but sure enough, it's back again. I call it his lucky feather!

6. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Amykins--Didn't Wobbles come from Dan Jerome? I have a 2014 pair from him, and one of them also has that single black feather right on the top of his head. I didn't stress over it since it's acceptable to pluck stray off-color feathers before shows, but I know it will probably show back up in some offspring once I start breeding them. Like LC said, white x white can't produce anything but white no matter how many generations out you are. I really wish it were possible to get pedigrees for ducks like you can with dogs and cats. Not being able to get pedigrees is something I'm never going to get used to.

7. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    what costume did he wear?

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Yeah, he's from Dan, all right! That's so funny how yours has the same black head-feather! Makes me really wonder who's the odd duck out in his flock. Also makes me wonder if your duck is Wobbles' sibling. I received three eggs from the same hen's clutch, hatched out two and gave one back - maybe he sold him or her to ya! How cool would that be?

Choose Goose from Adventure Time. :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  9. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    [​IMG]

The 4 boys. The girls that I buy for the boys keep turning into boys. I seem to have the same thing happen to me as Amy did with Wobbles. It was all girly-lookin' until BAM! Curly feather and voice drop/plumage change. So now instead of having 1 boy and 3 girls, I have 4 boys and 0 girls. [​IMG]

10. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Now I'm worried I have to pick out my 5 ducklings and I REALLY! Don't want all boys dealing with im spending 80 dollars for them .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by