Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeBlackbird, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    OMG OMG OMG you know what that photo reminds me of?

[​IMG]

2. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Do you mean you'll pick them out in person rather than having them shipped? If that's the case, you should be able to get the sexes you prefer.

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Yeah I'm picking them out I.n person but the guy I'm getting them from doesnt sex them or even look at the colors , literally all he knows is that he has show quality calls, he built aviaries of 5 acrs for each color and then is done with the birds. He only picks up fertilized eggs and put them in the incubator. So I have to pick out the colors I want for myself too since he doesn't know what a baby snowy ,butterscotch , pastel etc . Looks like at all. So I'm just doing all this myself.

4. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    oh my word. That is the epitome of cute. I love it. He's sucha love.

5. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    LOL. That would be a crazy coincidence, huh? If they're related, I bet Wobbles wants a girlfriend. The one with the black head feather is the only one of the Call drakes we ever see mating, and he seems to mate every time one particular white duck sits in one of the water dishes, which she does every time we refill it. (Filling that one really has no other purpose because she barely fits in it, so all the water sloshes out when she jumps in.)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Very odd for someone to put all that time and money into ducks they know nothing about, but to each his own. With some varieties, you can venture a guess based on the bill color. If you see a trend in bill color in whatever variety you're looking at, the females tend to be the ones with the darker bills. However, that's far from foolproof. You might be able to tell something by looking at his breeders, but that won't help much if there isn't a strong trend because you won't know which ones are the parents of any given duckling.

Would it be possible to negotiate with him about exchanges, maybe by explaining that it will be dangerous for the ducks if you end up with too many drakes? If he agrees to that, your best bet is to pick out the best quality ones in whatever varieties you're buying, then exchange them in a couple of months if the ratio didn't turn out the way you wanted.

7. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Me too!!! So glad I'm not the only one who thought that. My parents were like "Mhmm that's nice honey" when I pointed it out [​IMG]. Whatever.

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    If he knows so little about calls, how can he be so sure that they're show quality?
    He isn't showing any mating behaviors yet, but I do worry that I'm gonna go from "mom" to "mate" in his eyes. He's awfully nippy around strangers, and I wonder if it's because he's territorial, or simply hyper-protective of me. But yeah, I do wish I had a girl for him...

I wonder which one's Paul? The white one's obviously John, the black one's Ringo, but the other two I'm not sure.

9. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

Because half the people who were showing their calls at our past show here gave me his card, also I met him and he showed me pictures of his calls and they are BEAUTIFUL perfect bill size and amazingly shaped tears drop heads and the bodies were lateral. They looked amazing and so did the calls that people were showing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  10. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    That's still really weird...probably just sourced some great lines from other breeders, but I'd still be wary because he probably doesn't care about parentage or husbandry. You could wind up with an inbred bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by