Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeBlackbird, Feb 2, 2010.

1. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I love the BF ducks. If I had to pick the cutest of all our Call ducks, it would be the BF ducks. I need to get some good pics of them. Their little faces are just so adorable.

2. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    yes. The faces get me too. Question: with calls, is the chubby chunk cheek feature bred into them? I know it's feathers and all but not all ducks have them. How's it work with genetics in general?

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

Ohh yeah sorry my mistake :he

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Yup! Those chubby cheeks are a breed standard and a staple of quality call duck lineage. Same with their stubby bill and round head.

5. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    OK. Thanks Amykins. That makes sense to me then. And I have to say that those features are very endearing and sweet.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    yes, chubby cheeks are part of it, calls are basically live rubber duckies... as per most birds, quality varies even amongst parents of good quality, i know within my own flock i have differences and none of the birds are poor quality, just varying in size and bill length.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Blue fawn are nice, i was surprised i got a drake.. he has such a pretty head and a nice contrast to all my greys.

8. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    These call ducks are so cute I cannot stand it.

9. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    If you need to get rid of a female, and she's bonded with humans, do you think we could talk about doing a trade or a purchase of some kind? I'm at wit's end...I interviewed for an office job that doesn't allow pets on the property and I've had no luck finding a ducksitter. Wobbles needs a playmate. :/

10. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I don't know the answer to that and would like to find out. My focus on genetics in ducks has been almost entirely around the ones that control colors and patterns. I've actually tried to find an answer to why their cheeks are chubby and never really found anything. My guess is that the cheeks are a by-product of the breeding for a rounded, high-crowned head rather than the oval heads of most ducks with a more gradual slope from the bill, kind of like rounding the head made the cheeks puff out. Like I said, though, that's completely a guess, so please let me know if you find the correct answer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by