Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

LOL thanks guys. She never produced any young like her of coarse i don't have the right drake either i only have a grey, well okay now i have blue fawn one too but besides the point i am not even sure if the kids she hatched were her eggs as i had 3 females sharing a coop and nest hopping... oye.

Maybe one day i'll find a proper mate for her but at this point i have a bakers dozen for calls so am pretty maxed out... Mostly greys, 2 blue fawn ducks and 1 BF drake... and then her lol being the appleyard like colour.
I love the BF ducks. If I had to pick the cutest of all our Call ducks, it would be the BF ducks. I need to get some good pics of them. Their little faces are just so adorable.

I love the BF ducks. If I had to pick the cutest of all our Call ducks, it would be the BF ducks. I need to get some good pics of them. Their little faces are just so adorable.
yes. The faces get me too. Question: with calls, is the chubby chunk cheek feature bred into them? I know it's feathers and all but not all ducks have them. How's it work with genetics in general?

I think they have to take a international type of thingy to be considered. But I do like like there coloring :) :p

Sorry. By "standard," I meant ABA and APA. Those are only for North America. I should have mentioned that since the standards differ among countries. I think the mini SA actually is a standardized breed in the UK, but I'd have to look that up to be sure.

Ohh yeah sorry my mistake :he

yes. The faces get me too. Question: with calls, is the chubby chunk cheek feature bred into them? I know it's feathers and all but not all ducks have them. How's it work with genetics in general?

Yup! Those chubby cheeks are a breed standard and a staple of quality call duck lineage. Same with their stubby bill and round head.

yes, chubby cheeks are part of it, calls are basically live rubber duckies... as per most birds, quality varies even amongst parents of good quality, i know within my own flock i have differences and none of the birds are poor quality, just varying in size and bill length.

Last edited:
Blue fawn are nice, i was surprised i got a drake.. he has such a pretty head and a nice contrast to all my greys.

If you need to get rid of a female, and she's bonded with humans, do you think we could talk about doing a trade or a purchase of some kind? I'm at wit's end...I interviewed for an office job that doesn't allow pets on the property and I've had no luck finding a ducksitter. Wobbles needs a playmate. :/

I don't know the answer to that and would like to find out. My focus on genetics in ducks has been almost entirely around the ones that control colors and patterns. I've actually tried to find an answer to why their cheeks are chubby and never really found anything. My guess is that the cheeks are a by-product of the breeding for a rounded, high-crowned head rather than the oval heads of most ducks with a more gradual slope from the bill, kind of like rounding the head made the cheeks puff out. Like I said, though, that's completely a guess, so please let me know if you find the correct answer
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom